Sports Photagraphy as Living

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Buszaj, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows about how to get into sports photography for a major newspaper. I've read about photography internships in the Toronto Star, but does anyone know more about how to get started? Also, what about this as a main source of income?

Thanks

2. pandinus

pandinus TPF Noob!

Stavanger, Norway (moving to Bergen in November)
    Photos OK to edit
    Why not contact your lockal press? I've done that for some events. (More as a freelance photographer.) I've done quite a bit of equestrian competitions, and some other sports. (Since most fulltime photographers for the press are interested in football (Socker to you americans...))

That's how I've done that sort of thing... Might work for you as well.

You could allso apply for an internship, get a foot thrugh the door so to speak. Who knows, you might impress them.

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you’re in collage think about taking some journalism classes

4. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    only in high school. we do have a photography course, but its film and you need an SLR and i don't have one and i don't shoot film.

5. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I go to UWO, and I called the communications guy for the athletic department who's hooked me up with a pass to all Mustangs games in all sports. As well, I cover sports for a couple London news outlets, one of which is SNAP, which actually has branches all over Toronto. Maybe try calling UofT, York or Ryerson to see if they could hook you up with a press pass, even if you're not 'press' nor a student.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Easy to get started, not easy to get rich but it is possible. The best way for you to get started is to buy a decent camera D80, D200, D300 or the Canon equivalent and (and this is the MOST important part) put some 2.8 or faster glass on it. Next you need to go out and shoot as much as you possibly can shoot every concevable type of sport that is played in your area (concentrate on the most popuar of course) then make a portfolio, make a resume' and send it out to as many local small papers you can locate. You can get on the list to be a freelancer for some smaller papers pretty easily I know I got on several but I could not continue as I did not have 2.8 glass hence the importance of it. Once you do this the sky is the limit you can go to school but you can just as easily (if you are young enough) work your way up from the bottom. And remember the most important thing to remember is fast glass and locate EVERY small local newspaper you can find and send them resumes and oh yeah, just starting out you need to expect you will be working for pennies so do not expect to even make enough to pay for your lens or camera.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    This is going to sound really harsh... but there is no other way to put it lightly...

There's more to a photography class than film..... lots to learn that all translate to skills that go beyond the equipment.

If you are not willing to take a "free" class in photography because "you don't shoot film", then you don't "want" it bad enough.

other advice..

Start working on a portfolio. Simply put that is your resume.

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think you might run into a problem if you don't have an SLR. This might be a good place to start. Getting one and learning how to use it I mean.

9. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

Very good point.

10. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, great advice guys. I guess you are right Usayit. Unfortunately the SLR will have to wait. I'll try to slowly get into some small local papers like you guys said. Thanks

11. JCPics

JCPics TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can cheaply rent SLRs or Film SLRS from Henry's and probably Vistek as well.

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Why does the SLR have to wait? Most schools I know will lend you a camera for the class. Heck... some of my classmates in my photo 101 class managed to find cameras well south of $100 bucks (I was the only one with a full time job to support the costs). I sold a couple of my old spotmatics to students that REALLY showed an interest at next to nothing. I wanted to make sure that getting an SLR was not a reason to drop out.

As I said.. you want it "bad" enough... you gotta work for it... even it means being seen with a 50 year old camera.