Sports Photographers - How do you get paid?

when you are starting out like me, you dont really have an option. you have to build a portfolio. i dont know of anyone that is going to give me 150$ a game with me showing what my abilities are.

Portfolio is major.

I've never contacted anyone about freelancing for them... it's all been people coming to me, saying they'd like me to shoot for them. Build a portfolio that speaks for itself and get your name out there. The rest will follow.

Like I said, it's either an incredible opportunity, or charity (they CAN'T pay, but they really need some photos)

Each to there own, I'm at the stage where I'd never work for free.

I'll work off my own spec and upload them to my agency, but I'm not going to give them images for free.

It pushes other photographers out of the market, if amateurs give away there images why should agencies or magazines pay for them?

How do you get in with an agency?

Another route is being paid by a sports organization for a certain number of shots for public relations, printing or other uses and the related time and work involved. They get to choose from your shots, but you retain full rights to any shots that they have not chosen.

skieur

the thing is, i am currently shooting minor league hockey. I dont want to make a big deal about 2$ and image. We sell them for 4$ each. I am trying to get noticed then I have more bargaining leverage, I just need an opportunity.

names of agencies would be helpful. i submitted to getty but i am looking for others.

names of agencies would be helpful. i submitted to getty but i am looking for others.

I upload to Alamy, they work with several magazines I'd really like to get my photos into, as well as the RSPB and several other FTSE 100 companies. I also like there submission system.

Hi all this is slightly off topic but I'm 15 years old and I've been recently thinking about a career path in photography and as a big sports fan this could be a good way to proceed on a photography career. I know 15 is an early age but I would like some advice. Firstly how much would it cost to buy my own equipment to start up. Secondly what should I look for to start up or start earning money and finally do you have any recommendations for equipment. Thanks I hope for a reply.

Hi all this is slightly off topic but I'm 15 years old and I've been recently thinking about a career path in photography and as a big sports fan this could be a good way to proceed in a photography career. I know 15 is an early age but I would like some advice. Firstly how much would it cost to buy my own equipment to start up. Secondly what should I look for to start up or start earning money and finally do you have any recommendations for equipment. Thanks I hope for a reply.

Start with a good entry level camera and lens, learn everything you can about photography, shoot as much as you can, save money, buy better gear and longer faster lenses, hope you get a break or two along the way, and in about 10-15 years, if you are good enough and have aquired all the skills and experience you can probably expect to be a starving atrist, especially shooting sports. Sorry for being so blunt, but candy coating photography as a profession isn't what you should be hearing at this point in your life.

MichiganFarts said:
I'm guessing check, money order, or cash. Maybe some can run credit or debit, but if I was to guess...probably check and cash is most common.

I do freelance (computer) forensic work for a few clients, and so refreshing having a credit card app for my smartphone. Not only I like being green but client always have a copy of their receipts via E-mail. I only discount rates for people in the military seniors and military. Just have to be firm sometimes.

imagemaker46 said:
Start with a good entry level camera and lens, learn everything you can about photography, shoot as much as you can, save money, buy better gear and longer faster lenses, hope you get a break or two along the way, and in about 10-15 years, if you are good enough and have aquired all the skills and experience you can probably expect to be a starving atrist, especially shooting sports. Sorry for being so blunt, but candy coating photography as a profession isn't what you should be hearing at this point in your life.

Heck, most of us wish we were 15 again lol

imagemaker46 said:

Heck, most of us wish we were 15 again lol

hahaha... only if I could know what I know now! :)

Most reactions

Back