Sports Photography

Most of what has been tossed out is good information. It sounds like you have your mind set on shooting in a field of photography that if you were really wanting to have the gear you need, it would cost you 25k. Having said that, it is also something you can work your way towards. I have gone thorough 2 1D's and a 1D mk ll in the last 11 years, along the way I also bought a 70-200 2.8, a 400 2.8 and then a 300 2.8. The cost of the new 1Dx is nuts and a waste of money, the 5D mklll is what I am shooting with now, and will be buying a second body this year, it is a great camera, and it works very well for shooting sports. I have a t2i that I play with as well, it is slow for most sports, but it is the good glass that makes it worth using in some situations, shooting around the bench doing portraits of players.

Save your money, and like brian_f2.8 has said invest in the glass first, it will outlast the camera body and serve you well for a long time.

In your situation I recommend the 70-200 F4 non IS. It's the most cost effective solution to get the reach you are looking for. It takes tack sharp images and has good focus speed. You can take some great images with it mounted on your current camera. Inside a gym is a challenge sometimes, but it will still get some great images.

I am still using the F4 non IS. I've used it with the Rebel XSI, 7D and now the 5D MK III. While I do plan to upgrade to 2.8 IS, this lens has proven itself many times over. Have fun shooting with whatever you decide.

brian_f2.8 said:
What kind of sports are you shooting? Ideally you want to get f2.8 lens. You should invest now in a 24-70 and a 70-200 f2.8. IS is nice because the glass is better, more elements and it will produce sharper images. Im in the same dilema as you. I would like to buy 2 7D's but I might just get 2 5D MIII's because the quality is so good. I dont spray n pray. I would like to get the 1D MIV but a lil out of my reach and I really dont need to be bursting all day. The 5D MIII has 6fps which is fine for sports. Yes 10+ is great but in all reality, do you really want to go to an event and just hold down a shutter?

Invest in glass then a camera. If you can wait till April, there the new 7D or 70D is coming out.

Yes I think I will go for the 70-200 f4. I shoot baseball, how about you? And a 7D would be awesome to have. I just need to save a LOT.

I mostly shoot autosports like NASCAR, Indy Car, ALMS and what not. I also do PGA events as well. All I can say is that photo is one expensive hobby. At the same time what else would you rather spend your money on? Shooting sports has given me experiences I never thought possible.

brian_f2.8 said:
I mostly shoot autosports like NASCAR, Indy Car, ALMS and what not. I also do PGA events as well. All I can say is that photo is one expensive hobby. At the same time what else would you rather spend your money on? Shooting sports has given me experiences I never thought possible.

Yeah that's pretty awesome! Have you ever met any professional athletes? And yes it's very expensive, you're right haha.

Brian do you have a web site? I'd love to see your images

IS is usually recommended for sports lenses even though the shutter speed is fast enough because IS also helps focus performance.

When you're trying to focus the shot, the IS will help the AF points lock focus faster. Without it, it takes longer to get focus to lock when you're dealing with long focal lengths and hand-holding the camera.
I agree with Tim. I'd never even consider a lens without image stabilization. If you don't want it or don't need it there is a switch on the lens to turn it off. If you DO need it for a given situation there is nothing better.

To be honest I use all IS lenses and rarely have the IS turned on, but it is better to have the option when working in low light with slower shutter speeds. If you know how to hold and stabilize a camera and lens correctly then it becomes less important. On lenses over 300mm it can make a difference if you are hand holding the gear and in certain situations where camera shake is possible, working in windy conditions for example.

To be honest I use all IS lenses and rarely have the IS turned on, but it is better to have the option when working in low light with slower shutter speeds. If you know how to hold and stabilize a camera and lens correctly then it becomes less important. On lenses over 300mm it can make a difference if you are hand holding the gear and in certain situations where camera shake is possible, working in windy conditions for example.

:thumbup: That was my point exactly. It doesn't have to be used but it's there when you need it.

For sports? No. It is virtually useless. IS is for hand shake not motion.

gryphonslair99 said:
For sports? No. It is virtually useless. IS is for hand shake not motion.

Okay good to hear. I have a tripod and monopod so I was thinking I wouldn't need IS

Well the IS is useless since you will be using a high shutter speed.
However the IS is newer and you will get better glass. It is more expensive.

canonbraden said:
Yeah that's pretty awesome! Have you ever met any professional athletes? And yes it's very expensive, you're right haha.

Yes I have met a lot of athletes. Some of them are really nice n just like you n I, while others have an ego.

Shooting events with the big crowds n having access is a blast. I really enjoy it. I have a lot to learn as I have only done pro sports for a year.

imagemaker46 said:

www.brianciancio.com

Most reactions

Back