Sports photos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dantheman4334, Jan 4, 2009.

?

How good are these photos?

1. Exellent

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Very Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Good

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Fair

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dantheman4334

Dantheman4334 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    2 months ago, our high schools team was at the NY state varsity football championship game, and I got a side line pass, and I just wanted to know what you guys thought of how the photos of our entire playoff run came out.

In all its about 54 photos, so you don't have to look at all of them, but if you are going to give me feedback, which is much appreciated, then please say which photo it is so as to avoid confusion.

Croton Harmon tigers football team - a set on Flickr

Thanks,
    Dan The Man

2. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you have done a decent job of shooting football, it is a tough sport that takes a while to learn to shoot well. There are several things that I look for in a good football shot that I don't really see here though. (these comments are specifically on the actions shot).

1. There are very few shots where you can see the facial expression. Lots of backs/sides of helmets.

2. Focus isn't perfect. Most of the shots are real close, but miss just a little bit (this may actually be a slow shutter speed). Most of your best shots are back focused.

3. Most important in sports is peak action. you want to capture the moment right before something happens or immediately as it does. For example, it is much more interesting to see someone a fraction of a second before they make a tackle or if a player is about to break a tackle than it is too see someone falling to the ground after being hit. You do have 2 or 3 images in here that capture this really well (or are extremely close) Coming to mind is the shot where one of your guys makes an interception (i think), that's a good shot (it would be nice for it to be a few seconds earlier, so you could see the players eyes). It is also out of focus.

3. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I agree with the comment above. There are some good photos, some very good photos, and some fair photos in this gallery, but you seem to be closing in on something that is very difficult to do. Mind your focus and really work on your timing and I think you will be getting excellent photos on a more regular basis.

4. Dantheman4334

Dantheman4334 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I didn't get a proper telephoto lens till the championship game at the dome, so that might explain a few things with some of the shots. Also, the rest of my equipment isn't so good. I'm stuck with a 4.0 aperture, which would explain the slow shutter speed on the night shots (and the high iso).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009