Sports Shooting Lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Frozen, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Frozen

Frozen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was wondering what focal lengths are best for sport photography(specifically mountain biking/cycling in general), I am assuming get as fast of a lens a possible. Specifically what length lens would I need to get a shot like this?

Would a lens like this(Canon EF 35mm f/2) be suitable? For longer distance right now I have a 55-250mm F4-5.6mm till I figure out what distance works the best.

Since I have this thread open would that 35mm F/2 be suitable for macro shooting since it has a minimum focus of .8 ft?

Thanks

2. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Would you always be near your subjects like the picture?

When I frst read what you wanted to use it for, I was thinking you'll be in the sidelines taking photos. So I was gonna say wouldnt a zoom lens be better?

3. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    70-200 f/2.8 Can't go wrong.

4. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    .8ft won't work very well for macro. The cheapest, but also a great lens, is the 50mm F1.8. it will only put you back about $90. and I would also go for the 70-200mm F2.8 That's what I am currently looking to buy.

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or one with a long focal length. 100-400 or as mentioned several time, 70-200 f/2.8. They're expensive though. You're looking at at least $700 for just a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

You could buy a 70-300 but those come in variable apertures and aren't always the best quality. Then again, it's $300 vs. $1700. And the linked photo looks like the photog was using flash to get the double exposure.

6. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    55-250 should do you fine, its what im getting for marching band, soccer shooting

7. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Except that it's a variable aperture lens that shoots at f/4.5-5.6 and to get sharp photos, I'm pretty sure you're going to be shooting at f/7-f/9. Not exactly ideal if you're shooting in places that can be dark and not very well lit. Like in the woods, where mountain bikes go?

And IS won't help for action shots if you're compensating from f/4 to f/2.8. Shooting a fast mocing subject at 1/150 vs. 1/50 will show a big difference in motion blur.

Plus it looks like that lens only has a standard AF motor. The 70-200's, even the Sigmas, have some type of USM/HSM that allows the lens to focus much faster than the standard AF. That's a huge difference when shooting sports.

Like when I was shooting motorcycles at the local road course. Having a lens with a fast AF motor let the lens make focus adjustments between shots when I was shooting at 5fps. That's not something the standard Canon AF motors can keep up with.

So the 55-250 might not "do him fine" despite the fact that you're purchasing it for shooting a marching band and soccer.

8. Frozen

Frozen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There would be times that I would be within 5-10ft or less for some shots, and if I go to a race I could be farther(like 10-75ft or more). And most of the shots I would shooting would be out in the open where there is plenty of light, if I was shooting in a forest, I likely would be pretty close-up which is why I am wondering if the 35mm would be suitable.

Thanks for the replies so far!

9. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, 5-10 feet would probably be a little close for a 70-200 on a crop body. At least, you'd have difficulty getting the whole person or whatever in the shot... a detail or small portion maybe (would be tough though if they're moving).

I do want to say that I am a big proponent of the 70-200 2.8 made by sigma. The reviews all pretty much say that image quality is at or near to equal with the canon version (I can attest to this, mine is awesome (thanks keith204)). Also, it does focus very quickly, and also very quietly.

A couple other thoughts with that range is the canon 70-200 f4 (it's a bit cheaper if you can handle the loss of a stop). Tamron makes one you can get new for around the 700-800 dollar range (though it doesn't have the quiet focusing).

Canon makes a 70-300 IS which is great, but it won't stop motion blur and it's (I think) a 4-5.6 so it'll be a stop or two slower. However, I believe you can find that lens for around 700 ish.

10. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, but you keep talking about it even though everyone else is recommending different lenses so it looks like you're set on it. A prime is a horrible idea for shooting in the environments you're talking about. At 75' away, you're not going to be able to make out any details in the riders.

This was shot with a 70-200 @ 200mm focal length on a crop body. The rider here was probably about 30'-40' away. @ 35mm, there's no way he would fill the frame, or have much visible detail at all.

It's you're money and you can spend it how you want, but if you're asking for suggestions, it's probably best to consider them, especially if the people you're asking for suggestions from have experience with the certain distances/types of photography you're wanting to shoot.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just the Village Idiot.

[​IMG]

11. Frozen

Frozen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Well I guess I didn't make myself clear, I am wondering for the less then 10ft, situation if the prime is a waste of time, I am not naive enough to think that from 75ft away I can get a suitable shot with a 35mm prime. I should have cut the sentence up to make it clear. Right now being a college student, I don't have the coin to drop on a super nice lens so my 55-250mm will have to do, and I will have to pick my races such as those in bright light.

And I am getting the 35mm anyways for landscape and indoor, so I am hoping that I can kill two birds with one stone, I am in no way ignoring or disregarding anyones suggestion. If those with more knowledge that I do say that for less then 10ft a 35mm prime wont work I will take that to heart.

And since I am writing, what do you guys consider suitable shutter speeds, the fastest anyone would be moving would be ~20-25mph, but as slow as ~5mph in more technical section.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  12. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    35mm is going to suck for indoor, and won't be very good for landscape either. The picture you posted, it looks like the photog is about 5 feet from the guy with a really wide lense, possibly even a fisheye. He's also using rear curtain sync'd off camera flash to get the blur/freeze effect. 35mm on a crop sensor is only a standard lens. I would check something like the sigma 20mm, 24mm or 28mm f/1.8. These are wider and faster, for eitherthe same price or a little bit more. Well worth it. You said you don't have much money, don't waste it on something that isn't going to do what you want.