Sports: Tougher Than It Looks C&C please

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to discover what I like and am good at in different genres of photography. Had the oppurtunity to volunteer some time and images to a local youth club and would appreciate some advice and critiques on this small set. I posted about 27 pictures on my site for the parents to flip through and thought these were the best out of those.

4393077509_0665e09547_b.jpg

4393839044_a350c116ab_b.jpg

4393068727_2236591f12_b.jpg

4393063161_c86a122fb6_b.jpg

4393056927_b0c5cfec62_b.jpg

The first and the last are the best with the last being the overall best.

The keys to good sports shots are action and emotion, and both those images have it.

Another critical factor is to getting down to shoot. Sitting on your butt is best, but kneeing is ok. It takes some of the background out of the frame and makes the players seem bigger and more powerful.

When I shoot soccer I like to shoot from one of the end lines near the goal, or from the corner on corner kicks, rather than from the sidelines. That way the players are moving more directly towards me and I can get the entire face and all the emotion. Each team then is doing just that for half the game, if I want an equal number of shots of both teams, which is usually the case.

The hard part becomes getting shots of the defenders at the other end of the pitch, which is where the 150-500mm zoom comes in handy. ;)

The first and the last are the best with the last being the overall best.

The keys to good sports shots are action and emotion, and both those images have it.

Another critical factor is to getting down to shoot. Sitting on your butt is best, but kneeing is ok. It takes some of the background out of the frame and makes the players seem bigger and more powerful.

When I shoot soccer I like to shoot from one of the end lines near the goal, or from the corner on corner kicks, rather than from the sidelines. That way the players are moving more directly towards me and I can get the entire face and all the emotion. Each team then is doing just that for half the game, if I want an equal number of shots of both teams, which is usually the case.

The hard part becomes getting shots of the defenders at the other end of the pitch, which is where the 150-500mm zoom comes in handy. ;)

150-500!!! And to think I've only been shopping for the 300 2.8 lol!!! Thanks KMH for the advice. I started shooting from the end lines of the field but was having trouble with the focusing. And the kids are so small it was hard to tell which way the action was going to turn. It's not like in the pros where everyone knows to an extent where the ball will be :lol:.

I'm going back next week to practice with different angles and trying to focus. And my patience of course ;-)

Thanks,
Shawn

1 and 5 have great emotion! Looks like the kids are really enjoying themselves. 3 is quite cute, looks like the kid doesn't really want to be there or doesn't know what to do next. I would have to say my favorite of these is 5 though. Great job. What lens were you using?

1 and 5 have great emotion! Looks like the kids are really enjoying themselves. 3 is quite cute, looks like the kid doesn't really want to be there or doesn't know what to do next. I would have to say my favorite of these is 5 though. Great job. What lens were you using?

Pic 3 is of a little guy who was a brother of someone on the team. He looked so forlorn that I just had to have a picture of the emotion on his face. I guess I was taking a picture more a story that only I knew about. The story being that his brother was receiving all the attention from soccer and him looking at a soccer ball and without a uniform so sadly. Guess it might be a better picture with tons of explanation? :lol:

I like 5 but the kid was kind of a pain to get on camera.

I keep forgetting that my signature is out of date. I was shooting today with my D90 and Sigma 700-200 2.8. Picture 5 was shot at ISO 320, SS 1/800 and F2.8.

One of the best things I learned today was just because I can open up to 2.8. It's usually best to use it with only 1 subject in the frame. I would get caught up in the action and forget about aperature and adjust shutter instead. Huge breakthrough today :mrgreen:

I like 3 and 5, specially 3, the expression is amazing. 5 is all about the joy of the game at that age, when you're focus on having fun and not winning hehe.

I agree with the shooting from the end lines tip. I learned that from a soccer photographer from the sport newspaper I used to work in. He uses a portable stool to shoot, they're easy to carry

Keep the good work!

I think 3,4,5 are my favorites. I can't comment yet on the technical end, but I would be happy to have taken any of them. They say something. If I had to pick one 3 would be the best. IMO.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Is there anyone that seems something wrong with these? I'm looking for the technical side. I believe my exposure is correct and my WB looks good enough. Do you think they're sharp enough. The B&W are that way because I forgot I can't hold the 70-200 at 1/80 sec without camera shake :)
But any other advice would be great as well? Would a monopod have helped in any way you think? I didn't use it because I was running all over the place and up and then down and back and forth. Thought it would have been cumbersome.

I really like 2 and 3 as well.

Some advice ( now I am not great at these types of shots either, but this is just passing along advice I have seen ). Try to get a little wider in your shots so that there is more going on in the frames. Other teammates, opposing players, the goal, spectators on the sideline or the coach etc. In that respect I think 1,2, and 5 are the best ( 4 as well if the net behind wasn't quite as blurred out and was more of a part of the composition ). I like the black and white treatments though.

Just my own opinion. Great shots.

I really like 2 and 3 as well.

Some advice ( now I am not great at these types of shots either, but this is just passing along advice I have seen ). Try to get a little wider in your shots so that there is more going on in the frames. Other teammates, opposing players, the goal, spectators on the sideline or the coach etc. In that respect I think 1,2, and 5 are the best ( 4 as well if the net behind wasn't quite as blurred out and was more of a part of the composition ). I like the black and white treatments though.

Just my own opinion. Great shots.

I'll try this a little more next time I'm out there. It was kind of one huge mass of children with no discernable goal in mind for them lol. Trying to isolate just a few pieces of the puzzle was a bit difficult but something I'm willing to work on.

Thanks,
Shawn

Most reactions

Back