Spot/Blob Metering? :)

Innocence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Only now have I understood what spot metering is. :lol:

That would be soo much better omg!!! Why don't they just include it on every camera haha far out, it's frustrating when taking backlit things. For me, it seems that I need to take multiple exposures (bracket?) to get the desired output.

My question is that out of the 3 modes available to me, Evaluative, Partial, and Centre Weighted, is Partial the closest I have to spot metering? (the manual is not very helpful here)

ie instead of a 'spot', i have a 'blob'? :wink: Thanks!

Yes, partial is the closest you have to spot metering.

Spot metering is actually more difficult to use than other modes. it requires you to understand the dynamic range of the subject, take measurements at certain areas of it and then calculate a manual exposure based on those measurements. You could use it automatically if the area of the frame that you chose for the measurement happened to produce the exposure you wanted. Usually, it is used to measure highlight and shadow areas to determine dynamic range. Spot metering is normally found on higher end cameras because it is more difficult to use and requires more knowledge.

I'm not sure what part of the subject the other modes actually measure but they will be blobs of one size and description or another.

Center weighted means that it puts more emphansis on the center of the frame than the edges (different from averaging meter.) Evaluative probably means that it uses some sort of computer logic to weight the subject in a more accurate way than center weighted. Partial would be a pure guess on my part.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

I will give modes other than evaluative a go, and if I get any other issues, I'll let you know hehe.

Most reactions

Back