Spot metering / single auto focus point

Natalie87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. This is my first post.
I have a question concerning Spot metering and single auto focus point
Hopefully you don't think i am stupid for not knowing the answer :)

I understand that spot metering meters from a small part of the scene.
I also understand that using a single auto focus point focusses from a very small area

My question is this:
If i am using a single auto focus point (the centre one) - does this mean i am automatically in spot metering mode too.
In other words - the single point auto focus point is used to focus AND meter

Thanks

Depending on the camera. Generally, if you're using 'Center' single auto focus point, then most likely it will be. But some cameras allow the separation of single point focus with spot metering.

My question is this:
If i am using a single auto focus point (the centre one) - does this mean i am automatically in spot metering mode too.

Thanks

Natalie,
Generally NO, using a single AF point in the centre does NOT by default enable spot metering, so you would not "automatically" be in spot metering if you were using just the centre AF point.

On Nikons for example, one can use single, centre AF point, and use Spot, Matrix, or Centre-weighted Average metering.

Nikon separates the metering mode into those three types.

If you tell us your specific camera brand and model, likely a kind soul could help you find the manufacturer's manual's specific page(s) which detail this issue.

My question is this:

Thanks

Natalie,
Generally NO, using a single AF point in the centre does NOT by default enable spot metering, so you would not "automatically" be in spot metering if you were using just the centre AF point.

On Nikons for example, one can use single, centre AF point, and use Spot, Matrix, or Centre-weighted Average metering.

Nikon separates the metering mode into those three types.

If you tell us your specific camera brand and model, likely a kind soul could help you find the manufacturer's manual's specific page(s) which detail this issue.
Thanks
I have a canon 80D

So i can use single auto focus point and spot metering
i was just curious if i used single AF whether i got something close to spot metering or would the camera still be in evaluative metering

Thanks
I have a canon 80D

So i can use single auto focus point and spot metering
i was just curious if i used single AF whether i got something close to spot metering or would the camera still be in evaluative metering

No, as Derrel says it'll still be in evaluative unless you change the metering mode.

Metering and focus are two separate functions. Study both until your familiar as they're extremely important to successful photography.

Read your manual. I'm sure your 80D the two functions are totally separate and require individual interaction to change.

Unless you are in an AUTO mode, then that's up to how your camera was programmed in the Auto modes. That may be referenced in your manual.

80D_MeteringMode.jpg

You really have to go to page 460 for about 8 pages of what can be used and how in a matrix format. This is page 1 of those pages
As you can see on the bottom is Metering MOde and Evaluated is used for most of the auto modes except one where it uses center weighted.

In Manual though you have full control over everything.
80D_Modes.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back