Spot on Exposure - is it necessary?

mgshn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just finished reading an excellent book on exposure. Now I'm wondering, what with taking pictures in RAW mode and the ability to directly edit those files, just how important is getting things right to the 1/3 stop? Seems like even if your a few stops off (ideally under) it can easily be fixed with the "exposure" slider.

What am I missing?

I just finished reading an excellent book on exposure. Now I'm wondering, what with taking pictures in RAW mode and the ability to directly edit those files, just how important is getting things right to the 1/3 stop? Seems like even if your a few stops off (ideally under) it can easily be fixed with the "exposure" slider.

What am I missing?

If it ain't there you can't fix it. Overexposed shots lack some of the details of a properly exposed shot. Underexposed shots also loose detail, not to the extent that overexposure does. If you blow the highlights in a shot and get white, no matter what you do, those details are not there and are not recoverable.

The "fix" you talk about only fixes the best it can. If it is right the first time, there is no need to "fix" the problem.

Without a doubt always strive to get it right in the camera first! Sloppy technique will almost never make a great image. The better the image quality, the less post and better the final product.

Thanks for the quick replies. I did imply in my original post that it seems best to err on the side of underexposure. In fact, I have my D40 set to -0.7, partly to give me some room to play and partly becasue it tends to overexpose.
Guess I'm wondering if most people take as much time setting the exposure in this digital/Photoshop (or capture nx as the case may be) as they did in the old days.

The correct exposure is the exposure that gets you the results you want... not necessarally what a meter says is the correct exposure.

But yes, I try to get the results I am after in the camera as often as possilble. Even back in my film days though, I was still spending time in the darkroom "fixing" what I didn't achieve in the camera. :D

Mike

Post processing is LOSSY. Even when working with 12bit. If you under expose by 2EV and then slide it up in RAW software then you'll see an extreme example.

The colours and tonality will be off as well as noise is increased. If you bump your exposure up by 1/3EV in software you're bumping your noise up by that amount. If you get it right in camera the signal to noise ratio is far greater.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back