spots in pictures with Nikkor 18-200

John Norvell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have about six dark spots in all my pictures. I have cleaned the lens as carefully as I can. They get fuzzy and less perceptible at wide-open apertures, darker and better defined when stopped down. Is that a clue as to where the problem is? It seemed to start when I picked up this lens from Nikon after service :-(

Attachments

• sample3_f13.jpg
    sample3_f13.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 200
  • sample2_f7.1.jpg
    sample2_f7.1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 200
  • sample1_f5.6.jpg
    sample1_f5.6.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 179
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I figured that out. I had assumed it was a lens issue. I got all but one of the spots off with compressed air. It's a stubborn one. I have a D40 body.

DO NOT EVER use compressed air to clean the sensor. The compressed air can damage sensitive components to the shutter and also can leave a nasty residue.

You're lucky you didn't damage the shutter using compressed air.
Shutter curtains need to be pretty lightweight so the shutter can open and close in 1/4000 of a second.

But, a damaged shutter can be replaced. Replacing the shutter of a Nikon would only cost you about $300.

Oh wow, compressed air on a camera censor....sounds like something I would have tried if my compressor wasn't in storage lol

Lesson learned. You want to buy a hand pump style duster. I forget what their called, pocket grenade? You can find them on Adorama or BH Photo for about $10. The next thing you will need is a censor cleaning kit. You can find those on the above mentioned sites as well. Takes about 5 minutes to clean.

I actually saw an article on the Nikon website that said compressed air could be used with care, although not recommended. I tried to be gentle and seem not to have damaged the shutter. I'll get a hand one and won't used the can again. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back