Spreading the word...how do people find your business?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Alison, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't have a biz, but they find out from emails and direct mail solicitations.

2. herrickphoto

herrickphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like these ideas! Most of my business comes through word of mouth or via my website. I do think having one (I have 2 for the different types of portraits/headshots I do) is essential, though, and I've found it works to put a lot of the pricing/what's included in different package-type information right on the site, so people don't feel they have to call with a lot of questions.
    I also do vouchers for charities to auction off. Not sure this drives people to me, but good karma? :)
    I don't bother with phone books or print ads, though. Not sure many people still use them?

3. rjessc

rjessc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which of the social networks is the most effective in terms of getting clients? It seems that photo-sharing websites like Flickr are losing their popularity.

4. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What kind of charities do you focus on? And how do you find them? Ive been trying to find expensive charities in the area but im not really coming up with anything, I only hear about a few after it happens.

5. EddyP

EddyP TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are great ways, targeting charities is a great option. Although you need something more guaranteed. I do not know your budget but I know companies like Calumet Photographic use Paid Search tactics to gain visibility on what they do.

My experience on the topic is not very high but I know they have got some really good results from it, well from the press releases I have seen.

Worth a try?:)

6. Ruth Ellen Brown

Ruth Ellen Brown TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most people discover my business because I ring them up and let them know I exist! There are also word of mouth referrals that come from friends of satisfied clients. That's about it. Very rarely any other method is effective. Social media is ok - but nothing makes an impression and leaves someone wanting to check you out than a personal approach.

7. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    does that work for new clients? pick up a phone book and call them to see if they are interested in a family portrait? :D

8. TamingRoman

TamingRoman Guest

When I first started out I was like an internet hero before there was internet. I was on myspace, I was hashtagging everying, I was everywhere. I never offered free stuff. I made the pricing crazy.

9. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

zombie_thread.jpg

The op posted this on March 6, 2006.

10. Advanced Photo

Advanced Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Trade shows, events, fairs, festivals, and gallery exhibitions.

11. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Previous clients, other vendors, venues, various social networking, and from search engines. I shoot weddings and engagements only and I have never been to a bridal show. Most of my referrals are from word of mouth.

12. Jamesaz

Jamesaz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

When I was starting out I did a lot of slides for artists needing to get into shows. The pluses: you get a lot of lighting and tabletop experience. The minuses: the clients are always working till the last moment so every thing is rush and they are artists and don't have any money. I acquired several pieces from people that are now represented in high end galleries though so, for me at least, that was a good investment. I also had a day job in a photo lab for rent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk