Spring Blossom

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw these blossoms on a bush just outside of my grandparent's house. Not sure what kind it is though. I kind of feel like it needed a little more DOF to get the bud on the left a little better.

IMG_0893.jpg

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105L @ 93mm, f/11, ISO 100, 1/30 sec, natural light with overcast skies.

Edit:
Here's the same picture after a little more cropping. Which crop do you like best?

IMG_0893a.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the color. I have seen a lot of flower or blossoms that are washed out with the green around them, but this gives off a warmer feel.

Try to avoid square, or near square cropping. Squares are very formal and require special attention to composition. Rectangles are more engaging, and natural to the viewer.

Try to crop to standard ratios. Not that this is a hard fast rule. You can certainly get creative with severe crops. The reason I say to avoid near square crops, is like many things, it looks more like a mistake. Another example would be taking a picture at a very slight angle (horizon) on purpose. A slightly off angle look like a mistake, a more severe angle looks intentional. As always, there are times to step out of the norms. Learn the norms first and go from there.

Hope that helps?

It looks to me like their is a color cast on them ( I also agree about the cropping as Bitter said. ) I am on my laptop though so the color and brightness are probably way off.

I like the initial pic. There's a nice flow across the picture that way.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Bitter, I'll be sure to stick near the normal ratio from now on. I hadn't thought much about it before, but it definately makes sense.

Any other comments or opinions?

Most reactions

Back