Stabilized videos & good zoom

Drcs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm really looking for your help guys!

I'm currently using Sony HDR CX camera to shoot videos on my trips. I also bring with me some old Panasonic camera, which shoots poor pictures (quite better than still frames from Sony camera).

Since I'm getting older (60+) I want to avoid brining on my trips both video camera and regular camera. I'm looking for something that will allow me to shoot good full hd videos, take decent pictures, offer good stabilization and offer zoom at least 50x.

What would you recommend? I do not need RAW, interchangeable lens and very compact design. Most of the time I will be shooting videos, taking photos from time to time. I was thinking about Nikon P900, Nikon B700, Sony RX 10, and some other cameras, but I'm so confused what to choose. I do not know if they are better for shooting videos or taking pictures. Budget is uder $800.

Cheers!

The Nikon P900 is getting old now and it is a *BIG* camera. Go take a look at one sometime to compare it's size to your other options. I don't know about them all for video but when the P900 came out I went to go check it out for some of the stuff I do. It's bigger than most DSLRs.

GoPro Hero 5.

I'm not looking for action camera. I need zoom, stabilization, and enough preview screen.

I shoot video on a Nikon S9900 while travelling, although this model is no longer available. It does a credible job. It is 30X with image stabilization, however, once you get out to 30X there is no image stabilization system that is going to work unless you use a tripod. I can't imagine even trying 50X handheld.

I like the Nikon P900 for the fully articulating screen, which is a big plus for video, but is would not be my first choice. My first choice would be the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70, although it is only 30X, but shoots 4k. Second choice would be the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V with 50X. The Sony DSC-RX10 III would be a great choice it you had big bucks but is only 25X (which, IMHO is plenty).

When I am shooting long range video I typically have to add additional stabilization in post processing. Since you loose part of the edges when you do this, it effectively reduces the range you are shooting at, so 30X may effectively be only 25X.

Most reactions

Back