Stabilized zoom recommendations

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking of getting a new long range zoom and want something stabalized and fairly fast focusing. So far I am thinking of these ( and wanted to see what others have or recommend and WHY )

1) Tamron 18-270 VC

2) Canon 70-300 IS USM

That's easy. The canon.

The super zoom Tamron is going to have inferior image quality. I can't explain exactly why, but it has to do with the lens covering such a wide range that it really end up being mediocre across the whole range. Kind of the opposite of prime/fixed lenses.

Consider the Canon 70-200 f4L also. Sure it doesn't reach as far and there's no stabilization but the sharpness might make up for it. My 70-300 is somewhat soft when wide open, especially around the edges/corners, they all are from what I've read.

I should have clarified. I am looking in the $550 range, so not interested in the L lens. Actually I just read about the Sigma OS 70-300 that is better than the canon in distortion tests, but I think the OS had some issues on the one tested and I am guessing the USM would be faster focusing...

I am just tossing around the idea. I may just keep the Tamron I have now.

They're kinda two different lenses, if you want a superzoom/all rounder consider the canon 18-200 IS, though I think the Tamron is not too bad. Just realise it is a compromise lens, and at 270mm you only get f6.3 max - you won't be shooting much action with it.

The Canon 70-300 is a very capable lens, and while it's sharpness doesn't compare to the 70-200 line it is by no means a bad or soft lens. The IS works really well in it too. This will focus faster than the Tamron you listed. It still has a relatively narrow max aperture at 300mm (5.6) so again isn't the greatest lens out there for sports, though I have shot a few sports events with mine (motocross, kids athletics and motorsports) and had no issues in good daylight.

What do you really want out of the lens is what you need to ask yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back