stack

Well, let me jump in here if I may.

Neophyte (love the name BTW--it's such a great word), I've been here a while now (not as long as others, but long enough), I've been out on some meetups, and I've done my share of posting inane junk in the off topic thread, so I think--for better or worse--I've built up a reputation round these parts as a fun, goofy guy if not a good photographer (that I'm still working on).

But the point is that when I first got here, I didn't know anyone, I'd look through the gallary and wonder, like you, who is this JonMikal, why does Verbal have so many replies, or why do people comment so much on ____ (insert your least favorite photo here) when it's crap? I also wondered why I'd get some comments here and there, but not like Chiller or LaFoto. The reason, I think, is pure and simple, and I think that April said it--longevity (SP). JM's been here a lot, and whether he admits it or not, he's a darn good photographer. I'm very partial to Mansi's work (sorry, Mansi, I know I use you as an example a lot), so I see, between her comments on others and her work, why folks comment on her stuff.

I'm very pleased that when I post something in the off topics, I get lots of replies...but I still don't always get lots of comments on the pics I post, but as I'm here longer and longer, I get to know more and more people, and those people become more and more interested in my work, what I'm doing, what I'm trying to do.... For instance, I posted a series from last week with lots of streaks. Danalec99 commented that he thought it was one of my best series so far. I was elated for two reasons: 1) that someone would compliment like that, but 2) because, I didn't know that Dan was looking at my work, but clearly he'd been looking at stuff I've posted even if he wasn't responding.

Anyway, like JonMikal, I'm just in the mood to elucidate (ad nauseum) on this, just because I'm in a bit of a odd mood today. Sorry to ramble, but the upshot of my post is this...you, your friend, and all folks new to the Forum just need to have patience. Get invovled and make friends. I don't think that people intentionally ignore anyone who posts, so keep posting, bump your pictures. I've got chuptza, so if I have a shot and no one is commenting, and I really want a comment, I might PM a friend and ask them to post something on my thread...usually one post will get the ball rolling, sometimes not, but who knows.

OK, sorry, I've started rambling again.

Last thing: have patience and keep posting!!

EDIT: I apologize for singling people out, and they were just the first names that popped into my head--it should not be taken as an endorsement in any way, shape, or form :) (seriously, I'm happy to remove anyone's name who is uncomfortable)

JonMikal, I imagine that when you first started posting here ... your shots didn't garner the amount of attention that they do now. But that's called hard work, God given ability and determination to capture a great shot...and you have a phenominal eye. (I'm sure the other one is great, too ... don't get me wrong ... :lol: ). Plus, people got to know you and you participated in the threads of others. I always know that when you post a shot, it'll be something to see and study because you have a point to your photos. I rarely get it on the first glance (it takes this southerner a while) but you always, ALWAYS convey a feeling, as do soooo many others.

You may have 80 hits with two comments ... that doesn't mean it's negative feedback. That means that 80 people saw that shot. Some of them might feel that you know it's a decent shot, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it, and that's why they don't comment. If a person wants specific comments, then ASK! Lord knows this is the right place not only because there's tons of talent, but also because you'll get good, honest, constructive critique and helpful hints, tips and advice. It's up to you how you respond. I can honestly say that I've never known a regular on here to be mean or hateful.

I've learned to watch and learn. Because of that, when I got my camera, I knew not to be afraid of the dial and to take it off of 'auto' and experiment. You made that comment once to a noob that asked for advice. (paraphrasing ...) 'get out the book, take the camera off of 'auto' and shoot shoot shoot.' Thanks. That's the best advice I've ever read.

Forums are like any other group-oriented place. You can walk in at any time and be welcome, but after the initial 'hi, howya doin' bit, you have to dig in and become a part.

Okay ... there's my $0.02 ... I'm packing up my soap box now.

Oh, and .... nice shot. I missed that particular part of Georgetown when I blew through. I'll have to revisit it.

anicole said:
JonMikal, I imagine that when you first started posting here ... your shots didn't garner the amount of attention that they do now. But that's called hard work, God given ability and determination to capture a great shot...and you have a phenominal eye. (I'm sure the other one is great, too ... don't get me wrong ... :lol: ). Plus, people got to know you and you participated in the threads of others. I always know that when you post a shot, it'll be something to see and study because you have a point to your photos. I rarely get it on the first glance (it takes this southerner a while) but you always, ALWAYS convey a feeling, as do soooo many others.

You may have 80 hits with two comments ... that doesn't mean it's negative feedback. That means that 80 people saw that shot. Some of them might feel that you know it's a decent shot, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it, and that's why they don't comment. If a person wants specific comments, then ASK! Lord knows this is the right place not only because there's tons of talent, but also because you'll get good, honest, constructive critique and helpful hints, tips and advice. It's up to you how you respond. I can honestly say that I've never known a regular on here to be mean or hateful.

I've learned to watch and learn. Because of that, when I got my camera, I knew not to be afraid of the dial and to take it off of 'auto' and experiment. You made that comment once to a noob that asked for advice. (paraphrasing ...) 'get out the book, take the camera off of 'auto' and shoot shoot shoot.' Thanks. That's the best advice I've ever read.

Forums are like any other group-oriented place. You can walk in at any time and be welcome, but after the initial 'hi, howya doin' bit, you have to dig in and become a part.

Okay ... there's my $0.02 ... I'm packing up my soap box now.

Oh, and .... nice shot. I missed that particular part of Georgetown when I blew through. I'll have to revisit it.

hitched a ride on Aprilravens broom didja?? COME TO THE MEETUP!!!!

First of all, this is yet another lovely shot Jon! I really like it, although perhaps it's just a tad dark near the middle?

And now I get to add my 2 pesos! :D

I'll just say it as simply as possible... it's give and take. The more you comment, the more people will comment on your work, basically. If you just post your pictures and then only visit those threads to see who's commented on your work, then people probably aren't going to comment as much! I'm not singling anyone saying they're doing that, because you're not... it's just an example. But I too make a point to comment on as much work as I can and give out pointers when asked for, and because of that people have begun to recognize me (and in time fear me and flee from my name), and so are more inclined to look at my work and tell me what they think. =) So if he sticks around, chats with us and makes himself known, your friend is bound to get more comments! =)

Verbal said:
First of all, this is yet another lovely shot Jon! I really like it, although perhaps it's just a tad dark near the middle?

so what are ya saying? the picture sucks?????????

pay no attention to me, i'm just spamming to 10,000 posts :greenpbl:

Verbal said:

And now I get to add my 2 pesos! :D

I'll just say it as simply as possible... it's give and take. The more you comment, the more people will comment on your work, basically. If you just post your pictures and then only visit those threads to see who's commented on your work, then people probably aren't going to comment as much! I'm not singling anyone saying they're doing that, because you're not... it's just an example. But I too make a point to comment on as much work as I can and give out pointers when asked for, and because of that people have begun to recognize me (and in time fear me and flee from my name),

:hail: all hail Verbal :hail:

Verbal said:
and so are more inclined to look at my work and tell me what they think. =) So if he sticks around, chats with us and makes himself known, your friend is bound to get more comments! =)

I could never look directly at your work, I try hard to avert mine eyes

:lmao:

jocose said:

I could never look directly at your work, I try hard to avert mine eyes

:lmao:

...or in some cases they fall on their faces in awe of my amazing wit, charm, intellect, and photography skills.

:mrgreen:

Verbal said:
...or in some cases they fall on their faces in awe of my amazing wit, charm, intellect, and photography skills.

:mrgreen:

need an extra hand for patting yourself on the back there Jon? :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back