"Stacked": Original, 1st & 2nd edit

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by jasonkt, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jasonkt

jasonkt TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looking for new ideas, good cc, or just comments in general. Here is the original photo which you are welcome to edit:

[​IMG]

When I first took this shot, I tried to edit it, but wasn't really happy with the results:

[​IMG]

I thought the shot had more potential, and here is a 2nd edit. Still not good enough imo, but that's why I'm asking for suggestions!

[​IMG]

In this edit I did actually try to adjust the curves. I googled it and even kind of understood what I was supposed to be doing, but I've got a lot to learn still. If you want to take my original and just mess with the curves to show me what can be done, go right ahead! :)

DO YOU LIKE IT? Boost your post count easily with a quick 'yes' or 'no'!

2. jasonkt

jasonkt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    worth a bump to get a view at least

3. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the color of the second with the crop of the first would be best. :)

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

Well, I threw a very widely feathered (90) lasso around the sky and quite considerably lowered the midtones in the Levels (I am a "level-person", and it seems like others are "curves-persons"). Then I looked at the sand selectively (lasso again, same feather), and the histogramme showed me that a good many shadows can be added, but also a good many highlights. So I added them.
    Then I worked on the rocks with a 40px-feather lasso and upped their highlights.
    To round it off, I upped the reds (via Saturation) from 0 - 10, same about the blues, and the yellows from 0 - 20.

And I took out the rock in the bottom left corner. Not sure if that was overly necessary, but I wanted it gone.

5. jasonkt

jasonkt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks LaFoto, for the great explanation! I'm still learning different techniques and won't forget to study levels.