Stacking rail

Oddly that's the same one most of us are talking about; I suspect that they pretty much all come from the same factory and just get a different brand label stuck on the front; though there might be some production variation (as with any mass produced item).

Oddly that's the same one most of us are talking about; I suspect that they pretty much all come from the same factory and just get a different brand label stuck on the front; though there might be some production variation (as with any mass produced item).
I was worried that it might be the same - I won't get that then.

Maybe try the novoflex? Its still expensive but no where near the stackshot. Buy from some place like B&H so you can return it if it doesn't fit the bill.

Maybe try the novoflex? Its still expensive but no where near the stackshot. Buy from some place like B&H so you can return it if it doesn't fit the bill.
I like to buy from Amazon. If you return it they pick it up at your door for free. You cant beat that.
Look for a slider that uses ball bearings and not a greased pole.

I like to buy from Amazon. If you return it they pick it up at your door for free. You cant beat that.
Look for a slider that uses ball bearings and not a greased pole.

We are not talking about using sliders. We are talking about focus rails for macro work. Im not familiar with any focus rails that use ball bearings over geared tracks or worm drive adjustment, do you have some examples?

That's just a DIY version of the stackshot which was already discussed and also is using a worm drive for adjustments. Ball bearings are probably used on the guide rails but this it way outside the scope of what the OP has stated he wants/needs. I think I see what you are trying to make though but I think something like the Oben linked below would be a better example of this. I am not aware of any focus stacking rails that use greased guide rails but perhaps I've just never seen them. Typically the grease is only applied to drive mechanism which is what I was referring to earlier.

Oben MFR4-5 Macro Focusing Rail MFR4-5 B&H Photo Video

After seeing this
Handheld stacking
and
autumn fly

I am very tempted to do something similar, I am not sure about how to do it though

What do people think?

After seeing this
Handheld stacking
and
autumn fly

I am very tempted to do something similar, I am not sure about how to do it though

What do people think?

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen that, might have to look into one of those myself. That's an amazing image as well!. I'm a little surprised it took 45 shots to make that up though. All I can assume is because he was using natural light instead of flash he had to open pretty wide and DOF was just paper thin. Impressive to say the least.

I think this could be a wonderful option for you. Just some thoughts of my own. Something like this is going to need a LOT of practice to get a good technique that produces consistent results.
This unit probably does make the most sense when using natural light instead of flash in order to get that many shots without spooking the subject. If you have not done so already you will really need to invest in a program like Zerene or Helicon to assemble the stack. I know it could be done in PS but these other programs (for me) make assembling a stack where you have some potential camera shake or subject movement much easier to align and blend.

I have tried a few similar types of images where I stacked 3 or 4 shots by stabilizing the camera on my opposite forearm and adjusting forward for each shot. You notice in the one of the fly that I missed a shot right in the middle and the image is soft between two sections that are nice and sharp.

20160827-2016-09-03-16.47.27 ZS retouched-Edit-3 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Violet Bumble 3 stack by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

That's a very neat device that's basically adding some mechanical assistance to the lefthand brace technique (ergo where the left hand is holding subject or bracing on the subjects surface and the camera then rests on the arm a bit). Certainly must work well to get 30 shots for a stack whilst handheld!

That guy is really good! looking at the rest of his flickr page he is a true master of his craft.

After seeing this
Handheld stacking
and
autumn fly

What do people think?

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen that, might have to look into one of those myself. That's an amazing image as well!. I'm a little surprised it took 45 shots to make that up though. All I can assume is because he was using natural light instead of flash he had to open pretty wide and DOF was just paper thin. Impressive to say the least.

I think this could be a wonderful option for you. Just some thoughts of my own. Something like this is going to need a LOT of practice to get a good technique that produces consistent results.
This unit probably does make the most sense when using natural light instead of flash in order to get that many shots without spooking the subject. If you have not done so already you will really need to invest in a program like Zerene or Helicon to assemble the stack. I know it could be done in PS but these other programs (for me) make assembling a stack where you have some potential camera shake or subject movement much easier to align and blend.

I have tried a few similar types of images where I stacked 3 or 4 shots by stabilizing the camera on my opposite forearm and adjusting forward for each shot. You notice in the one of the fly that I missed a shot right in the middle and the image is soft between two sections that are nice and sharp.

20160827-2016-09-03-16.47.27 ZS retouched-Edit-3 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Violet Bumble 3 stack by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

I have done a few handheld shots like that (stacked with Zerene stacker)
hoverflylarvastack2 by davholla2002, on Flickr

EF7A1334-5harvestmanstack by davholla2002, on Flickr

I am not sure how difficult it would be with practise, my main concern would be getting the rods to support it on me.

When you stack are you combining Dmap with Pmap? I usually use one stack using Pmap for the fine details then do two Dmap stacks with different radius for some of the out of focus areas and fine edges. I then blend the choice parts of all three stacks.

When you stack are you combining Dmap with Pmap? I usually use one stack using Pmap for the fine details then do two Dmap stacks with different radius for some of the out of focus areas and fine edges. I then blend the choice parts of all three stacks.
I just do Dmap and Pmap, your method sounds better but harder, how do you blend them together in photoshop?

I guess by using natural light he could take more photos as he did not have to worry about flash recharge also if you have 45 shots in a stack paper thin DOF is not a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back