Stairway

I would get rid of the sprinkler(?) in the middle of the ceiling.
Here's a sprinklerless version...

...and also a sprinklerless, pictureless version...

I suck at Photoshop, plus these are quick and dirty edits.

Not sure how I feel about these compositions. On one side they look cleaner (and more abstract in the case of the last one); at the same time I feel they are missing something...

Last edited:
Very nice indeed - lovely composition and exposure. An alternative might be to have something on the stairs to break up the symmetry - a child, teddy bear, or something unusual. How about a slinky? :)

Nigel

very well done.

was that carpet red or green?

i prefer the original made me curious as to were you were and who the picture could be of nows it just an empty stairway into and empty room

An alternative might be to have something on the stairs to break up the symmetry - a child, teddy bear, or something unusual. How about a slinky? :)
I completely agree; I like symmetries, but I LOVE almost-symmetries. I prefer not to stage my photos, though... and there wasn't anything there to break the symmetry this time :(

was that carpet red or green?
It was a pale green. Good eye!

i prefer the original made me curious as to were you were and who the picture could be of nows it just an empty stairway into and empty room
I think I prefer the original too. The building is the Pioneer Courthouse in Portland, Oregon, by the way.

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

I wish you could see more of the portrait at the end of the stairs, instead of just the head of it.

I like version 2. I feel that the sprinkler acts only as a speed bump as you eye goes down the runway to the room. However, I agree that the picture, or something else dark is needed in the room. The rectangular picture works well, but I do not like the amount of portrait that is visible, not in a sense of overall composition, but the composition of just the portrait.

I completely agree; I like symmetries, but I LOVE almost-symmetries. I prefer not to stage my photos, though... and there wasn't anything there to break the symmetry this time :(

It was a pale green. Good eye!

I think I prefer the original too. The building is the Pioneer Courthouse in Portland, Oregon, by the way.

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

that tone of gray is green.

I like version 2. I feel that the sprinkler acts only as a speed bump as you eye goes down the runway to the room. However, I agree that the picture, or something else dark is needed in the room.
This basically sums up my feelings about this image. I've grown to like version 2 more as days passed.

I wish you could see more of the portrait at the end of the stairs, instead of just the head of it.
The rectangular picture works well, but I do not like the amount of portrait that is visible, not in a sense of overall composition, but the composition of just the portrait.
Agreed too. However, to make more of the painting visible, the shot would've had to be taken at a higher angle, which in turn would've changed the concept altogether. It was a trade-off, and the painting lost :)

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back