Stairway

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by ShavedMonkey, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ShavedMonkey

ShavedMonkey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I feel like this shot has potential and I tinkered with it for quite awhile and this was the best I could come up with. What are you thoughts? Should I try something different?
    ~Image deleted

Original picture:
    ~Image deleted

2. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

first and foremost, the image is very soft on all parts of the stairs that aren't the actual steps.

i feel what you're going for but can't think of a way to improve it... perhaps a lower point of view to give the stairs more dominance in the image... and having the curve of the railing start at the corner of the image...

3. ShavedMonkey

ShavedMonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I get what you're sayin...I may just have to make another trip back to that park :)

4. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First, stop being impatient and wait until there's good light. It will make or break a landscape shot.

Second, stop down. Only parts of your image are sharp because your aperture is too wide. You can compensate by increasing your camera-to-subject distance if for some reason you can't stop down.

Third, make sure you always shoot these in manual focus mode.

Fourth, don't trust your meter to give you a correct exposure for anything except what's dead in the middle.

Fifth, get a tripod if you don't have one. Parts of that look like motion blur.

5. 391615

391615 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe the stairs need to be in full focus, Its what I'm looking at and when its out of focus it doesn't show the full textures of the rock face.

Id don't much like the b/w shot.

Secondly I know from my mistake last weekend, that you need to chose the time of day to get the best lighting for the shot you want. If the lighting isn't good, then there are other shots that can be taken. but I fully agree with Max Bloom you need to be patient. If you look at my posted photos, you will see I had a problem with lighting, I went back this weekend and they were much better, however I don't really like the shots that much anymore.

6. lordson

lordson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that shot doen'st lend itself to black and white

it would be best in full vibrant color with good sun illumination

create some life with light from dull rock

offtopic:
    looking at the pictures hurts my eyes. i've been starring at tehis computer screen for 12 hours straight now. and the image is a little burry

your camera doesn't have shake reduction/image stabilisation/optical stacbilisation does it?

7. Lau

Lau TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would work on it area by area, in the colors and contrasts.
    Anyway, is not that the pic is expressing too much for me.
    Johnny, keep shooting!

8. JCleveland

JCleveland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the focus is on the trees not on the stairs.. what you're wanting in focus is all blurry

9. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. There are no people in the shot, so wait for the "sweet" light. It occures one hour before sunset, or one hour after it.