Stampeding Antelopes by Neil Aldridge Wins Top European Wildlife Photo

Why are 'blurry accident' and 'good photo' considered to be mutually exclusive?

I quite like the image.

It's a nice image, agreed, but I can't imagine how it can rate as the top wildlife image for an entire continent!!

I saw this, 40 years ago, done better, by Ernst Haas, in his mid-1960's work with the Leicaflex. Let's just say, dragging the shutter outdoors is a tried and true way to bring an abstracted quality to otherwise mundane or boring subject matter and make it artsy-fartsy. Many younger people have likely not seen this simple trick done very often in the modern era. When Haas did this in the 1960's, using a 35mm SLR and color slide film, this was a fairly new, cutting edge approach.

Do a search on Ernst Haas + blurry images, and see what pops up.

Ernst Haas + blurry images - Google Search

About six months ago, Michael Reichmann, co-publisher of The Luminous Landscape did an article devoted exclusively to the way he shot a bullfight using his camera at slow speeds, in the 1/3 to 1/6 second zone. Not surprisingly, some of Ernst Haas's most famous shots using this slow speed technique were made, you guessed it--at a bullfight.

LEICA Barnack Berek Blog: LEICA PHOTOGRAPHER EXTRAORDINAIRE – ERNST HAAS

Last edited:
Why are 'blurry accident' and 'good photo' considered to be mutually exclusive?

I quite like the image.
I hope I didn't imply such a thing. I merely posted it for discussion. I thought it looked "really cool". I was surprised that so many angrily dissed it. I also looked at the bull photos Derrell posted a link to. Way cool also!

Art Wolfe's shot of running wildebeast looks a LOT better. Seeing Like a Painter

The two "stampeding antelopes" really do not look like they are part of a stampede, and the lighting that was at the scene is reallllly uninspired for this technique. This has been done before--a LOT. And it looks pretty awesome if there is backlighting, as in the Art Wolfe wildebeast photo in the LL article above.

Haas called this technique, "Painting with the camera," and Life magazine even featured a collection of photos he had shot this way. Read about what Haas thought this then-new technique brought to photography here, about 3/4 of the way down Dreaming With Open Eyes: Ernst Haas - Faded + Blurred

You're a veritable gold mine of photography information. Good thing you're a regular 'round here! :clap:

interesting photo.
I think the rest of the story helped him .. stepping out of vehicle, snap crackle pop goes his ankle and he takes the shoot from the ground whilst be believed his ankle was broken.

I like the jumping/flying squirrel shot.

It's better than boring crappy zoo photos you get every week on here
And your point being? This would have been a valid argument, had one of those boring crappy photos won some prestigious award.
It might be a very good photo, but I've seen better "non-zoo" wildlife stuff right here on TPF plenty of times. May be I lack the imagination of the judge (who I'm sure was more qualified than I am), but I would hate to be the person that came second to that entry.

It's better than boring crappy zoo photos you get every week on here
And your point being? This would have been a valid argument, had one of those boring crappy photos won some prestigious award.
It might be a very good photo, but I've seen better "non-zoo" wildlife stuff right here on TPF plenty of times. May be I lack the imagination of the judge (who I'm sure was more qualified than I am), but I would hate to be the person that came second to that entry.
I don't enter an club competition's any more because judges are biased towards natural history I have had some big arguments at are club committee meetings because of it

No.

A nice photo, but just because a photo has wildlife in it doesn't make it a wildlife photo. IMO of course ...

I've never been one to *get* abstract work like this, so to me, it's crap. That doesn't mean it's actual crap, just crap in my eyes. It reminds me of the coffee table art where a beat up coffee table is covered in sh*t and refuse and then touted as some Forward-thinking modern art piece and sold for thousands. I just don't *get* it.

Jake

"That" photo to "me" is crap...100% wipe my butt with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back