Stand up comedy - ?

But there are some hecklers who are funnier than the comedian so there is no come-back.
Like the legendary story of the late Eric Douglas (son of Kirk).
He was appearing at the London Comedy Store doing stand-up and was, by all accounts, dreadfull so he got a lot of heckling.
Finally frustrated beyond control he screamed at the audience 'Don't you know who I am? I'm Kirk Douglas' son'.
Immediately a member of the audience stood up and shouted 'No! I am Kirk Douglas' son.'
Then another and another. They were still doing it when he walked off stage.

Or the comedian who was appearing at the same venue telling unfunny jokes about Star Trek.
A voice from the back intoned 'It's comedy, Jim. But not as we know it.'

:biglaugh: Omg! Those are great!

But there are some hecklers who are funnier than the comedian so there is no come-back.
Like the legendary story of the late Eric Douglas (son of Kirk).
He was appearing at the London Comedy Store doing stand-up and was, by all accounts, dreadfull so he got a lot of heckling.
Finally frustrated beyond control he screamed at the audience 'Don't you know who I am? I'm Kirk Douglas' son'.
Immediately a member of the audience stood up and shouted 'No! I am Kirk Douglas' son.'
Then another and another. They were still doing it when he walked off stage.

Or the comedian who was appearing at the same venue telling unfunny jokes about Star Trek.
A voice from the back intoned 'It's comedy, Jim. But not as we know it.'

Heehee, true. With heckling like the examples you gave, the only option was to walk offstage with as much dignity as the poor schmuck could muster.

i used to work at a comedy club (as a barman) and seen alot of good new comedians who went on to be pretty famous (here in the UK anyway). Seen alot of comics die on stage too, it's really painful to watch, you feel embarresed for them when they forget their whole act 5 minutes in and have to leave the stage in almost tears.

If you can be bothered, a good way to start is by comparing a comedy night. You are under no big pressure to be hilirious when you are the compare/host. Crack a few jokes between introducing acts and if you're slightly amusing people see it as a bonus and warm to you, and if you stink, well nobody expected you to be great anyway. Plus it gets you used to standing infront of an audience.

I can just see Photography as the basis of a stand-up routine:

'What's the deal with cameras? You put a film in, take a bunch of pictures then have to put another film in... why can't someone invent a camera that doesn't use film? Huh? Huh?'
'I used to own a camera that said it was an automatic - but I still had to press this button...'
'Cameras give you such power. You point one at someone and say "smile" and they smile. Tell them to say "cheese" and they say cheese. Tell them to get their t*ts out and Corry slaps you...'
Maybe not. I think I'll stick with heckling.

Most reactions

Back