Standard zoom recommend?

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by darkblue-x, Sep 24, 2017.

1. darkblue-x

darkblue-x TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Great lens but the range is kinda dumb.

//UPDATE:
    Just trying to pick between the Nikkor 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 and the 16-80mm f2.8-4.
    I think I can buy the 16-85mm for 450 CAD though so that is a mean price difference but I'll miss out on all the beauty features that its successor has.

2. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

For the price difference and just general photography I would go with the 16-85mm. For the price difference you could always add an 85mm f/1.8 later on.

3. darkblue-x

darkblue-x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    UPDATE:
    Just bought it last night for $420 CAD.
    Decent lens. Sharpness is lacking a bit though.
    Also not sure about the aperture. Definitely has dropped suitability in low-light conditions which is unfortunate.
    I'm looking at the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 constant and it seems to be a better option if I'm willing to give up the additional 35mm at the longer end. Not sure if it's worth it though.

4. Dave442

DxOMark gives it an 8 on Sharpness and my old 18-70mm is rated at 9, both come in with an overall rating of 16. I also find my 18-70mm is not as sharp as my 35mm or 60mm primes, but you really have to look hard and I don't see differences in prints. The Sigma 17-50mm shows Sharpness of 14 and overall rating of 20, but your carrying around an f/2.8 lens. I usually just use my 35mm prime, that comes in at Sharpness 12 and overall 26 on the D7100. The f/1.8 is 1-1/3 faster than the f/2.8 and the f/2.8 is only 2/3 faster than the f/3.5 on your current lens (at the wide end). Enjoy the new lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. darkblue-x

darkblue-x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Chromatic aberrations and distortion/vignetting can be completely corrected in Lightroom iirc.
    Is it the same case for the lack thereof sharpness or is that just something that is lost with the use of a lower sharpness lens?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I get the feeling as though all of these lens flaws can be completely eliminated with Lightroom corrections..

6. Dave442

Best option is just to make the most of the lenses you have. Shoot at the f-stop that gives the best sharpness when you can, and if you feel that is an issue - or something that applies to the particular image. With your 16-85mm lens the best sharpness results are around 18mm at f/5.6 and then 24 to 35mm at f/8. In that range you should be able to get pretty close to what that Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens will do as far as sharpness (with the Sigma shot around f/4 to f/5.6).

7. darkblue-x

darkblue-x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That would be very hard for me to keep in mind when shooting, not to mention tremendously limiting.
    I don't have a tendency to shoot that way at all.
    Kindly though, what of the questions I asked in the last post? Would you happen to know the answers to that?
    Thanks Dave :)

8. Dave442

You can do the CA correction, distortion and vignetting correction in LR. I usually just use the normal lens profile correction. Often I add a small bit of vignetting back in depending on the scene and how much LR lightened up the corners.

LR has a basic tool for sharpening, I don't consider it a tool to fix an image that is not sharp but rather a tool to define edges and bring out some fine detail on the subject of the image.

Usually I don't worry about sharpness, if the subject is in focus then I really have to be pixel peeping to see any issues with sharpness. If the subject is not in focus I don't use the image. So my solution is to just not worry about it unless I need a reason to justify buying a new lens.

• Like Like x 1