standing up for myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not even know what it means, since I am one of those speaking broken English only :p

Anyway, while travelling the world I realised, that some phrases in American sound mortally offensive and terribly rude to the English, while
some phrases we use in everyday English might have the same effect on Americans.

The degree of rudeness which is assigned to a phrase just depends
on geography. Some phrases even have totally different meanings depending on if you are in the US or the UK.

This is all getting very generalised over just one remark that one member didn't like while all others saw the context and knew it was said between two very close friends who, so we all know, like each other a great deal. Let go of it, after all. It's from way down in the past by now.

This is what I found in the urbandictionary.com ... never too late to learn ;) But it certainly stems from a subculture far away from mine ;)

***** Slap:
As distinguished from the more common "pimp slap", a ***** slap is preceeded by ample forewarning and delivered with a flourish or exaggerated post-blow hip movements. Nonetheless, the blow is firm and may involve an open forhand or backhand.

A "pimp slap", to the contrary, is regularly delivered without announcement and oftentimes over breakfast at an IHOP, on a subway platform, or numerous other indiscriminately chosen venues. The blow is always, always struck with the back of ones hand as to do otherwise is bad form. And the hip motion that accompanies a pimp slap provides the torque to knock a ***** silly.

The term has become so urbanized in American culture that it has become something usually said in jest.

Example: "If you keep annoying me, I'm gonna ***** slap you!"

Or: "Don't make me come over there and ***** slap you!!!"

Or, if someone is really angry and tells you they are going to ***** slap you, that means they are really going to slap the living daylights out of you. :playball:

:soapbox: I report a metric but ton of spam and I didn't get a cool custom user title for it
cry.gif

I report a metric butt ton of spam and I didn't get a cool custom user title for it
cry.gif

Hmm, are you sure it was a butt ton? I thought over there you were not really good in metric measures ;)

s
This is all getting very generalised over just one remark that one member didn't like while all others saw the context and knew it was said between two very close friends who, so we all know, like each other a great deal. Let go of it, after all. It's from way down in the past by now.

How would i know they were close friends?

and if they are what a strange friendship.

but Im english so how could i possibly understand

over and out

Of course the English use the term 'bugger' and 'bloody' all the time. I find those terms much lower on the good taste scale than '*****'.

Of course the English use the term 'bugger' and 'bloody' all the time. I find those terms much lower on the good taste scale than '*****'.

I would use neither term on a forum

For me Bloody Mary, please!

so what was rude about that? :p

Can't you let this thread rest now that the OP has said "over and out"? Please?

if no one is interested in this thread please go away but i assume people are cause they keep coming back.

what i am getting from this is that if i find something offensive it is not worth reporting it as if someone else does not it will be ignored.

so tell me what is offensive and what is me just being silly?

Report people who are obviously trolls, being too hard on someone, bullying someone, spamming etc
One of our own moderators would hardly fit to any of the above!

Put simply tho... a 13 y/o should know better than to just blab something out they read somewhere to thier own family... or strangers. Its not like they are 6 y/o and have no concept of manners. If you think your own 13+ y/o would still copy something they read on a forum, then its up to you as a parent to stop them from reading it... maybe limit them to the galleries and not to go through off topic.

In any case the word ***** is not offensive as 'proper' swear words, nor in america OR here in England.... from wiki...

'Sometime during the late 1990s or early 2000s, the term "*****" became more and more accepted and less offensive, and is now very rarely censored on television broadcasts or otherwise. Prior to the term's general acceptance, euphemism terms were often substituted, such as "gun" in the phrase "son of a gun". More generally the term has also acquired the meaning of something unpleasant or irksome, as in the expression "Life's a *****".'

If someone were to use the 'C' or 'F' word frequently and no good reason then that would be a good reason to use the report button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back