Star Storm

I just had a thought (took me awhile) - if you're worried about noise, why not try shooting at a lower ISO. You don't need the added exposure value it would give as you're leaving the shutter open for 10 minutes anyways. In my mind, raising ISO is a last resort in dark areas shooting handheld - it allows you to speed up your shutter to avoid shake. If your camera goes down to 100 or 50, they would both be better than 200.

Won't make a huge difference, but may help :)

Sure. This one was a 10-minute exposure, f/4 at ISO 200. Make sure the sky is very dark before you shoot (i.e., after 11 PM) on a moonless night. It helps to drive out of town so the city lights don't make the sky lighter (I drove 100 km away from Winnipeg, to give you an idea).

Okay, thank you. Another question, does any SLR camera do a 10 min exposure? I'm not familiar with that part of the camera. I know mine goes up to maybe a minute and that's it :O. I'm not sure if there's another way / setting to do that with.

Okay, thank you. Another question, does any SLR camera do a 10 min exposure? I'm not familiar with that part of the camera. I know mine goes up to maybe a minute and that's it :O. I'm not sure if there's another way / setting to do that with.

I had that question, too, when just starting out. I saw that the camera I was after went up to 30-sec exposures and it also did "B" exposures. Eventually I found out that "B" meant "Bulb" which is where the camera will expose for as long as the shutter is depressed (or if using a remote, then until you press the remote again). It's a case of not knowing what you're looking for in terminology.

So if your camera has a "B" or "bulb" setting for exposure "length," then yes.

I had that question, too, when just starting out. I saw that the camera I was after went up to 30-sec exposures and it also did "B" exposures. Eventually I found out that "B" meant "Bulb" which is where the camera will expose for as long as the shutter is depressed (or if using a remote, then until you press the remote again). It's a case of not knowing what you're looking for in terminology.

So if your camera has a "B" or "bulb" setting for exposure "length," then yes.

Okay, I'll have to check it out. Thanks again! :sexywink::thumbup:

a digital exposure of 10 minutes will always be REALLY noisy, regardless of the ISO setting, because the sensor gets hot.

you should try doing a series of 1 minute exposures with a 5 sec. break in between each. then merge them all in photoshop. you'll have A LOT less noise this way

a digital exposure of 10 minutes will always be REALLY noisy, regardless of the ISO setting, because the sensor gets hot.

you should try doing a series of 1 minute exposures with a 5 sec. break in between each. then merge them all in photoshop. you'll have A LOT less noise this way

While what you said is not not true, it really depends upon the sensor and the outside temperature as to how much noise will be present in a 10-minute exposure. Yes, there should be ~10x more noise than in a 1-minute exposure. BUT, I've done 45-minute exposures with my Rebel XT (350D) and not had noise issues. The sky was a little bright, but not noisy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back