Star Trails C+C

barfastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

while at Santorini, i took a Star Trail image, and i wanted to run it by you to see what you thought. Where i was located i couldnt find any static items (like a tree, building, or something similar) so i ahd to compose the shot using the center of the rotational circle of the stars themselves... dunno if you understand what i mean... anywhoo, heres the pic.

3789641717_6d4ce83c7e_b.jpg

Exif Data

f/stop: 6.3
Exposure: 1288 seconds
Focal Length: 24mm
ISO: 100
Exposure Bias: 0

that is cool

Manual mode, pointed the camera at the stars focused at infinity, and i left the shutter open for about 20minutes....

If I could, I would like to use this as my desktop background. It would go great with the theme I've been using. Let me know if that's alright.

Look out, here comes grumpy...

There's no context. As it is, it's just a bunch of curvy white lines (with some variation in colour temperature) of varying luminosity on black. Honestly, without the title, I wouldn't know if they were stars or not. While I understand that you couldn't find anything static, I think this underlines why it's important to do so. It's not nearly as cool when there isn't anything static to anchor the image, and tell the viewer that yes, these are stars. Something similar could be created by simply upping the ISO, keeping a relatively long shutter speed, and then twisting the camera to create streaks.

However, art is in the eye of the beholder apparently. One could keep the shutter open and twist the camera as you say. It would create something similar perhaps to the "Star Trails" barfastic posted. In my opinion, either one would be cool to look at. Come to think of it, I have done the twist camera trick. Here's one of my brother:

5214_113297694820_508854820_2291628_4309245_n.jpg

Well, on thursday ill be on another island that will provide starry nights for me to practice with!!
Agentdrex, u can defo use it, jus let me put a sig on it and ill sens you a full uncompressed image as soon as i have time!

That would be very kind of you. I would proudly display this photo on by office desktop. My staff know I'm a photo-nut and I would love to show off other peoples' stuff. I can't wait until I get better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back