Stars

can't see the image. :(

oops! Thanks! I fixed it

Looks like some amp noise, you need to turn on long exposure noise reduction on to get rid of that, you'll have cleaner and better looking night images then.

Why did you have to use a rock and rubber band? Does your shutter stay open only when the button is held down?

Looks like you have sensor noise issues (red and blue specks), heat issues (magenta glow) and dust (heptagonal glows). What kind of lens were you using?

Why did you have to use a rock and rubber band? Does your shutter stay open only when the button is held down?

Because without a corded remote all shutters only stay open when the button is pressed.

I suggest you abandon your method now. I think you can see that the image is unusable.
What you need is to take repeated exposures and then stack the result using a program like ImageStack to get a result like http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/773160897_fae20200db.jpg (200 30second exposures with a Nikon D200)

Either that or use a film camera.

Because without a corded remote all shutters only stay open when the button is pressed.

Fortunately, this is not true. If you are shooting a Nikon DSLR you can get a cordless remote control that allows you to open and close the shutter whenever you want in remote mode in compatible cameras. There should be something similar for all brands.

I don't have a remote so I had to get DIY.
I was using my D70 18-70 kit lens.

It looks like the original image was done in microsoft paint and then photoshopped.

I suggest you abandon your method now. I think you can see that the image is unusable.
What you need is to take repeated exposures and then stack the result using a program like ImageStack to get a result like http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/773160897_fae20200db.jpg (200 30second exposures with a Nikon D200)

Either that or use a film camera.

That's a really neat method!

However, if you have the ML-L3 remote, you don't' need to do that. You can open the shutter with it, walk away for however long you want (battery permitting) turn on High ISO NR on, and just go!

I've gotten good results from doing that.

20 minutes (40 total with the NR), 17mm, f/2.8, ISO 400, Long exposure NR on.

2280780393_2f1302e1b5_o.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back