Starscape Photo

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to get some star pictures this weekend in the mountains so I went outside tonight to just see what I could come up with before I got there.

Exposure Time : 14min 35 seconds
Aperature: f/18
ISO: 800
Focal Length 26mm
White Balance: Auto
Camera 5D

I know that reducing the ISO will reduce the noise but after that I'm not really sure how to fix it. And I cleaned my lens so the apparant marks on picture are will not happen again.
In the mountains I plan on using my car or something as a foreground.

-This is the FULL size image http://us.share.geocities.com/cvon_ecom2/star.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.
Chris

As you admitted, the noise is pretty much unbearable, you might try a noise reduction solution to even it out. Also your comment about something as a foreground I agree on as well and think it will help the image a lot. Try 400 iso maybe and 30 minute exposure?

You did everything right but your aperature needs to be wide open. A film camera will do better, less noise, digicams aren't really designed for long shutter speeds. You can also get away with 400iso. And the wider the lens the better...
Cosmo

I do long exposures in with my 20d by taking 15 minute exposures back to back and then put them together in photoshop. Keeps noise in control that way. Just make sure that you don't miss more then a second between exposures.

Alright thanks. This weekend I will just try again with my 5D because I don't have a shutter release for my ELAN 7ne, but I will try it later. How would you recommend having something in the foreground? I'm thinking just figure out what a good exposure time for it is and then take the light off once you get it correct and then just get the stars.
What lense do you think would be best?
I have 70-200 (280 with extender), 17-40, 24-105, 50mm, 100mm. I'm thinking the 17-40 so I can easily get foreground and a good number of stars, but since I will prob. only be able to get 2-3 shots (these things eat up battery), I want to be sure.

uberben that is a great idea I will have to try that next time I do one of mine.

Pick the 17-40, as you said if you are looking for a balance between forgrounds and backgrounds you will need a wider angle.

Also try and figure out which point the stars rotate around, I find it is a very nice affect.

Everytime I do one it is always ISO100 and a shutter of f5.6-f8 and the results come out pretty well with my camer's long shutter noise reduction. The problem is I can not take a picture longer than 60 min or my battery will run out during noise reduction, even then it is not perfect.

Alright thanks. And all the stars will rotate around the north star.

film works better for this, take a look at my post called "one starry night"
you will get better results at the lowest ISO possible and i would suggest starting with f/8 and going from there. You dont need a wide open aperature.

or, if you want really sweet star pics, buy a 50 dollar fully mechanical camera on e-bay (Nikon FM. Pentax MX)
and do some 5 hour exposures

Here is what I got with...
Exposure Time: 30 minutes
Aperature: f/4
Lens: 17-40 @ 17mm

starsagain.jpg

This one came out much better than the other but I believe it is out of focus and than I let too much light in. I tried another 45min exposure at around f/22 and nothing came out so I believe around f/10 would work pretty good. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vondrehle/394436425/

Most reactions

Back