Start of a 31 day personal challenge

Ron, you have to watch those horizontals/verticals. In #1 and #2 the vertical lines are leaning to the left. A bit in #3 as well, but that one can be debated. What were your thoughts behind the relatively dark processing?

Pgriz, I went back in and straightened them all. My thoughts on the dark processing were this. I really like the b&w tonal contrast preset that I got from Matt K at killerlightroomtips.com. Once I converted it, I just felt that these photos needed a little bit of vignetting to them as well.

They are darker than what I would go for, but that's a stylistic/artistic choice. They do need a dark background to make them stand out. When surrounded by white they lose some of their effect.

Thanks pgriz. I can see your point. I will have to play with the processing tonight and see if I can make it pop better.

Day 30 - Next to last day and a busy day. I couldn't come this far and not get a photo but the motivation wasn't there directly after work. But as we were getting things ready for the halloween festivities that we are attending tomorrow evening, I put this one together. My 4 year old contributed the painted pumpkin and I contributed the black light, hair and the back drop.

$untitled-8-7.jpg

Day 31 - Happy Halloween to everyone. I spent the evening at our Church's trunk or treat but I did take the camera to get some photos. This has to be the coolest mask/costume that came through and I was luck enough to get a couple of photos. I don't think that a model release is necessary.

$untitled-24-2.jpg

And you ended with JarJar...

On a serious note congrats with sticking through it!

And you ended with JarJar...

On a serious note congrats with sticking through it!

Yes, I did end with JarJar. I couldn't remember the name but it was too cool. We saw a lot of interesting characters but the old T3i and is crappy low light capabilities prevented more pictures.

Thank you for the congrats.

I will have to say that this experience has taught me a lot and got me out of my comfort zone about pictures. During this month, I took my first group photo walk, got a few really good/great photos to add to my portfolio, took some really crappy photos just to get a photo for the day and at times really stretched myself and my abilities.

I can see myself doing this again (not real soon).

I want to thank all of those who have commented and followed this post and ask one last favor of you. Which of the images posted in this thread are your favorite?

Ron, a big congrats for sticking through the whole month! I enjoyed watching this thread, I honestly don't think I could make it! I'm going to go through it and pick out my fav when I'm on the computer ;)
Great job!

Thanks PR. I have to admit there were only 3-4 days where I just didn't want to do it and really had to force myself. I do notice that I did get tired and my photos suffered. I can see them start okay, get better, then trail off.

You can do it, but you just have to set your mind to it and decide not to quit. That's what I did.

Day 5 was a good day. I attended my first photowalk with about 12-15 other local photog's, as part of the worldwide photo walk 2013 by Scott Kelby. Met some great people and had fun. Here is one of from today, there are others that I am still looking at as possibly submission for the contest.

I woke up this morning and decided that it really needed to be in b&w.

View attachment 59244

I think this shot might be my favorite of the ones posted in this thread. Congrats Ron, on completing the 31 day challenge.

Day 5 was a good day. I attended my first photowalk with about 12-15 other local photog's, as part of the worldwide photo walk 2013 by Scott Kelby. Met some great people and had fun. Here is one of from today, there are others that I am still looking at as possibly submission for the contest.

I woke up this morning and decided that it really needed to be in b&w.

View attachment 59244

I think this shot might be my favorite of the ones posted in this thread. Congrats Ron, on completing the 31 day challenge.

Thanks Derrel. That was a good photo day for me. I need to get out with other photogs more often.

Most reactions

Back