Starter Camera!!!! HELP!!!

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm no good at blog posting so I don't know if this will be a new blog or if this is a reply to someone else's post BUT here goes:

I'm currently entering the photography world. I've known since I was a child that this is what I'm meant to do. I have such a strong passion for it, and sometimes I feel like it consumes me. I'm constantly trying to gain new knowledge. Can someone please help me to pick the right camera and accessories?? I'm torn between the Nikon D90 and the Canon Rebel XSi. I'm about to go crazy reading review after review so i decided to post to see if someone had some personal experience or advise to help me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Neither. Get a used D80 (refurbished preferably) for 500 bucks, and with what you'll save, get a nice starting lens. Adorama has used D80's for a song right now.

It depends on what kind of photography you're looking to do and then look at which company has better lenses for your shooting desires. If you have the money I would take the d90 but if you like canon and their lenses are you're on a budget get the xsi or possibly a used 40d. Let me know what you want to shoot thanks and gl.

Well just to be honest I'll be shooting anything and everything I can. I love portraits, landscape, and abstract so take your pic. I just need a great general camera with a great general all around lens. Money is an option but I was planning to get the D90 just because I've heard such great reviews on it and right now it's the number 1 camera according to the dpreviews website. Also it has the video. I guess I really don't need the video but it was just a plus. Oh and lets not forget the live view. I'm not exactly sure what it is but I've been told it can come in useful.

ANDS,

Why do you prefer the D80? I'm not questioning your judgement just curious. Does it have the live view?

I know you guys are busy and you must get these questions all the time. i'd surely appreciate someone to help. Just take a little time to help someone. You never know....your advice may be the push someone needs.

ANDS,

Why do you prefer the D80? I'm not questioning your judgement just curious. Does it have the live view?

I was just like you before buying my camera because I thought I really wanted the live view like in my point and shoot but I have had my camera for 3 weeks. I have taken about 600 images and I think I used the live view only 3 times.

well beth you've stuck between two very capable cameras, both the d90 and rebel xsi are strong starter cameras. a real helpful thing to do is to go to a local camera store and hold both the cameras in your hands. it's nice to get a real feel for the camera, tinker around with some before you walk away with one in your hands. some people prefer the setup and alignment of buttons that nikon uses and others are just the opposite and prefer canon. it really depends on personal preference. also, the reason ANDS suggests a d80 is because the body is a very capable camera and with the money you'll save by buying the cheaper but still very good camera, you can use to invest in acquiring lenses. live view is neat in that you can frame and compose your shots through the lcd screen, however this feature exists only in the nikon d90 and uses a lot of batteries also many prefer to frame shots through the viewfinder. however, if you have the money to buy both the nikon d90 and lens, go for it. i'm not very knowledgeable about the canon line of cameras. video is nice, it might be fun to play around with. ask more questions. hope you find the camera you want

D90 is too much camera for a beginner so unless you have LOTS of $ to toss away I'd get something cheaper and spend the $ on a lens.

Nikon D40/D60 would be my choice and you'll have $ for another lens or two. Used body is also a route you can go, personally I stay away from used things but that's just MY personal preference. I think that a used body is a viable alternative and I believe that depending on where you buy it, you can get a warranty with the body.

I know that some people have mixed feelings about him but if you hit up kenrockwell.com you'll find lots of reviews of Nikon and Canon cameras. He does seem very objective in his reviews without much bias.

I have used LIVEVIEW on the D300 all of three times: Once was to see what it was, another was to show someone what it was, and the third was by accident when I wanted it in Mirror Lockup. I wont call Live View useless, because its not, however the question is, when will you use, and why will you use it?

I suggested the D80 because it is STILL a kickass camera at 10MP (more than enough to get large prints if you need them), can be used as a Wireless commander for Nikon speedlights, is built suprisingly solid for a pro-sumner camera, and is much cheaper than the D90. It does not have LiveView or the ability to record video, but if your goal is to take photographs - then you aren't going to need either.

I do reject the statement that the D80/D90 are too much camera for a beginner. The D40/D60 are both fine cameras, but after using one for a couple of weeks in LA, I would not recommend it over the D80/D90 if the individual had the cash to get the higher end models.

ANDS,

not to answer for ANDS, but I just wanted to chime in about why he may have recommended the D80. It is the predecessor of the D90 and, though it doesn't have liveview, it would make a great "beginner's camera" and would be a great camera to grow into since it is more capable than the lower models like the D40 and D60 and has most of the features of the newer D90, yet it can be had for not much more than a D60.

If you want a real steal, I just bought a refurbished Canon Rebel Xti (body only) for $300 from adorama and am very happy with it. It's the little brother of the XSi, but still is a pretty strong camera for the price.

For a starter camera, I would recommend the D80 instead. You will almost never use liveview and the video functions. And the prices have dropped for a brand new unit since the D90 came out.

I have been using my D80 for 8 months now and my only regrets was that I didn't buy it when it was 200$ cheaper only a few months down the road.

To be honest, if the price of the D80 didn't drop when the D90 came out, I would have chosen the D90 over the D80 though.

Well I certainly appreciate all the advice you all have given me. That helps me out a bunch. I think I'll do some research on the D80 and that will probably end up being my choice of camera. Now, any advice on the lenses? What's a good all around lens for the D80?

The 18-55 kit lens is a good all around lens. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking the "kit lens" can not take good pictures. It's a myth. In low light situations, yes it will suffer without a dedicated flash unit, but on its own its a champion of a lens. However, if you want something sharp right out of the box, the 50MM F/1.8 is a fun lens to start using that is quite a bargain for its cost, and can be used in a myriad of walk around situations. Really though, if you were prepared to drop some bones on the D90 and lens, I would suggest seeing if you can find a Sigma 24-60 F/2.8 lens somewhere, used or otherwise.

Most reactions

Back