Starter Lighting Kit

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Nikon D40 and I want to get into a bit of studio photo. I know the D40 isn't supposed to be able to flash sync but I recently learned that you can using X-contact. Anyway... I was looking into investing in this starter lighting kit but I was hoping if someone knew if it was (or could be with a converter or extra part) with my camera.

Any help is appreciated!

Those are continuous lights, so you wouldn't need to sync them with your camera.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that kit as it has 'flood lamps' rather than strobes. If you are shooting still life or product shots, then those types of light (continuous or 'hot' lights) are OK...but for shooting people, I would highly recommend strobes.

Check out these kits...http://www.alienbees.com/packages.html

Those are continuous lights, so you wouldn't need to sync them with your camera.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that kit as it has 'flood lamps' rather than strobes. If you are shooting still life or product shots, then those types of light (continuous or 'hot' lights) are OK...but for shooting people, I would highly recommend strobes.

Check out these kits...http://www.alienbees.com/packages.html

Thanks! I'm really new to all this and that is a great help.

I made the mistake going with continuous light set up as my first lighting kit. The room gets hot, people get uncomfortable, and they have to stare into this bright light that can make em squint. You should look into Impacts Starter sets. They start off about 200 bucks i think.

I've been weighing up buying some lighting as well. Anyone have some suggestions as to what to look for in a basic strobe setup ? E.g. power specs, reflectors etc. There do seem to be quite a few packages and kits out there.

It all depends on what you want to do, and what area you are trying to light. 1 400ws strobe and a reflector can be enough. Or maybe you want 6 800ws strobes. It all depends. Any basic kit will be a good start.

Most reactions

Back