Starter SLR for 12 year old

franco stacy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a daughter that seems to like taking photos with a point and shoot. She entered her photo project into the 4H fair and it appears many of the kids have camera's that are far better than my daughters Samsung point and shoot and skills better than hers. She could see the difference as well.

I think she has the desire to learn SLR, but I don't know if she is mature enough to take care of one, either way I am asking for opinions.

What is a good starter digital SLR that is easy to use, learn on and durable. I have a D90, but I am not hard that she has to have a NIKON. I also am open for used camera suggestions.

Good starter SLR for a young kid:er:

Any entry level dSLR should be fine... Not sure what that would be for Nikon, but if you go Canon look at the Rebel line.

It probably would be a good idea to stay with Nikon though, so you can share lenses.

Or you could just upgrade your camera body and give her the one you're using now. ;) That's probably what I would do.

I recently bought my 11 year old son a Canon 10D for $100. I put a 50mm lens on for day-to-day use because it is a cheap lens but gives good results. If I am with him, I'll let him use some of my better lenses. The benefit is that he can learn the concepts on a relatively inexpensive camera and get really good results. It's important that his camera is compatible with mine, I'm just not sure what would be available in an early nikon dSLR.

Used Canon 20D or a used Nikon D40...zillions of both were made, and they are affordable on the used market.

Since you have a Nikon, I would say I agree with staying with Nikon for the reason given - sharing lenses. Don't know how much you want to spend but they still sell D3000's new. As for used, here's a list from the B&H website: Used SLR Digital Cameras

If you want to go new, the Pentax K-x is the best built entry-level DSLR.

I've heard it is built with a small amount of unobtanium molded into the shutter release button...not sure if that's true...

The poster said it is the best-built, not "the best". One thing seems clear from the reviews of the K-x, and that is that Pentax has managed to design and implement a really good JPEG engine and image processing pipeline in the K-x--those that review cameras for a living are mightily impressed with the pictures the K-x cranks out, especially at higher than normal ISO levels.

I kind of miss the days when Pentax was a really thriving, viable company,with nifty products...they've really been hit hard by mergers and acquisitions, and the continued growth and market expansion of The Big Two.

I bought my Nikon D3000 new for $525, but I saw some used ones for $175 when i was in the market for one. I would definately go with the D3000, sure Im a noob, but my pics with mine are really improving, and theres a "?" button that tells you what your doing wrong or what each feature is for

I've heard it is built with a small amount of unobtanium molded into the shutter release button...
That's good stuff. I mix a little in with my shampoo - makes my hair super strong.

I kind of miss the days when Pentax was a really thriving, viable company,with nifty products...they've really been hit hard by mergers and acquisitions, and the continued growth and market expansion of The Big Two.

You and I both! (I'm still pissed off at the whole 645D... that camera too has a bit of unobtanium sprinkled thoroughly)

To the OP:
The first step to learning to improve in photography is to have a camera that one can bring along often. Do you think your 12 year old daughter is willing to carry a DSLR?

You and I both! (I'm still pissed off at the whole 645D... that camera too has a bit of unobtanium sprinkled thoroughly)

To the OP:
The first step to learning to improve in photography is to have a camera that one can bring along often. Do you think your 12 year old daughter is willing to carry a DSLR?[/QUOTE]

usayit raises a good point--a kid has to be willing to carry the camera, hence my suggestion of the EOS 20D (cheap,available,tough) or the Nikon D40 (small,light,cheap,tough plastic). One cannot be worried about losing the camera to theft, or damaging it, or whatever. A d-slr is kind of a commitment,size-wise,especially with the larger-ratio zoom lenses. The smaller, more entry-level Nikons and Canons like the Canon Rebel series and the Nikon D40-D60-D3000 are all built upon small,lightweight frames,so they are not too oppressingly heavy.

As for the Pentax 645-Digital...man...it looks like a great camera. I hope it is eventually imported into the USA and sold through official channels.

If you want to go new, the Pentax K-x is the best built entry-level DSLR.

I've heard it is built with a small amount of unobtanium molded into the shutter release button...not sure if that's true...

The poster said it is the best-built, not "the best". One thing seems clear from the reviews of the K-x, and that is that Pentax has managed to design and implement a really good JPEG engine and image processing pipeline in the K-x--those that review cameras for a living are mightily impressed with the pictures the K-x cranks out, especially at higher than normal ISO levels.

Yes I meant build quality, and although I think many camera reviews are rubbish, the K-x has a good rep for entry-level build quality: pentax k-x build quality - Google Search

I think Pentax has come back somewhat, although still a tiny market force, with a niche of small, well built bodies and lenses.

Agree with the above posters - the best camera is the one you have on you.

I've heard it is built with a small amount of unobtanium molded into the shutter release button...
That's good stuff. I mix a little in with my shampoo - makes my hair super strong.

Try rubbing some on that jeep grill of yours, will work wonders to get the bugs and mud off. :lol:

usayit raises a good point--a kid has to be willing to carry the camera,

Yup... except that I was actually thinking smaller.

Its the same concern I think of each time a young son or daughter comes into the store with a parent. The child (no matter the age) is all excited just to get something new. The parent tends to fall back on "What would I get myself" mentality. Often the result is an expensive camera that sees little use and the child grows frustrated because it doesn't fit them.

* I don't think I have ever see a young teenager carrying a DSLR. This is especially true with girls as they are already carrying a purse.
* I sometimes see an older teen carrying a DSLR but usually when they've reached their later years in High School when their interest has grown (yearbook, journalism, art..etc). Often the equipment is borrowed from the school.

I recall several posts which Iron (no longer an active member) and his son went shooting in various world wide cities. He usually had his M8 or 1ds MIII along but his son always had his Canon G9. Seemed perfectly blend of durability, size (compact), image quality, and features (RAW, focal range). My son is having a blast learning how to compose pictures on a Olympus Tough P&S. He can be as rough with it as he wants and it still takes pictures... its truly child-proof.. even in the pool. THen again, I think Iron's son as younger than 12 and my son is about 3.5 years of age. On top of that, each and every child is different in terms of personality, interests, and maturity.

So my recommendation is not to immediately think DSLR for the OP's daughter. Also consider higher end P&S too. I am mainly thinking the Canon S90 and G11. You can also go older and probably find some bargain basement prices on G10 and G9.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back