Startin' to like "Program" mode...

i used to use Aperture priority but more recently i've been using Manual exclusively unless i'm in a situation where i can't tweak settings fast enough, then i'll go back to Aperture priority.

I do plenty of candid shots, but regardless of what I'm doing, I'm almost always using Av. The reason being is that generally I want as shallow a DoF as I can get with my lens (sadly that means f/5.6 on my 55-250, but then again for candids it's actually better because it adds context...moving on...). I find that the full-auto ("program") mode won't give me what I want creatively; it just goes by the light meter and makes everything 18% grey. The flip side is that I indirectly control shutter speed as well; if the camera automatically sets a shutter speed too slow for what I'm shooting, I can stop-up the aperture or ISO (unless there's a reason I want a specific shutter-speed; most of the time I just want something 1/60 or faster).

I only use full manual when doing long exposures or using flash.

Pentax has this thing called Hyper-Program mode, which I am getting really fond of. It's basically aperture priority and shutter priority and program mode all wrapped into one. It will just be in regular program mode until you touch one of the e-dials. If you adjust the aperture dial, it will automatically flip into aperture priority, and if you touch the shutter dial, it will switch into shutter priority. So you can seamlessly make aperture or shutter decisions while it adjusts the other for you, and anytime you want, you can just press the green button, and it will go back into full program. Pretty sweet stuff.

That sounds pretty cool General, I'd be down for that.

I do like Program Mode, but probably have used AP mode more. Like it was said earlier, I do manual too, when the subject is not gonna fly/hop away.

I think it's probably a good idea to use and get familiar with all of the modes your camera has to offer, so you can capture the image you're looking for.

Pentax has this thing called Hyper-Program mode, which I am getting really fond of. It's basically aperture priority and shutter priority and program mode all wrapped into one. It will just be in regular program mode until you touch one of the e-dials. If you adjust the aperture dial, it will automatically flip into aperture priority, and if you touch the shutter dial, it will switch into shutter priority. So you can seamlessly make aperture or shutter decisions while it adjusts the other for you, and anytime you want, you can just press the green button, and it will go back into full program. Pretty sweet stuff.

I think it's probably a good idea to use and get familiar with all of the modes your camera has to offer, so you can capture the image you're looking for.

I agree. I used to be one of those manual only snobs. And I sitll think it's the best way to have complete creative control, and I still use it all the time. I used to hate all other modes, because they never gave me the results I wanted. But then I realized that you have to learn to control those just like you need to learn to control manual mode. Now that I've forced myself to get used to program and AV mode, I like them more and more. I use them when things change fast, and I don't have time to be making big adjustments on the fly. I used to hate missing shots because I couldn't change the exposure fast enough.

That sounds like Program Shift{sony100} If I don't like what the camera's program mode chooses all I need to do is use a dial and I can change shutter speed or aperture to what I want while still staying in program mode.

That sounds like Program Shift{sony100} If I don't like what the camera's program mode chooses all I need to do is use a dial and I can change shutter speed or aperture to what I want while still staying in program mode.

My Nikon D40 has the same feature, it's very handy sometimes.

Could someone explain the difference between Program and Auto?

I believe that, in Program, the camera selects both the shutter speed and the aperture. And in Auto, the camera selects both of these, as well as white balance, ISO, etc.

Is this correct?

Jon

I believe that, in Program, the camera selects both the shutter speed and the aperture. And in Auto, the camera selects both of these, as well as white balance, ISO, etc.

Is this correct?

Jon

Auto mode is self-explanatory the camera does everything for you exept press the shutter button. In Program mode the camera chooses the ap & shutter {in some cases you can override this} and you have the freedom to choose ISO, WB.

After some reading and messing around with my camera, it seems that the only real difference between Program and Auto is the flash.

In Auto, you have no control over the flash - it's going to fire if the camera thinks it needs to.
In Program it will only fire if you manually activate it.

I knew there had to be some difference other than RAW, WB & ISO... If those were the only differences, why do 35mm cameras have Program mode?

Is this correct?

Jon

Auto mode is self-explanatory the camera does everything for you exept press the shutter button. In Program mode the camera chooses the ap & shutter {in some cases you can override this} and you have the freedom to choose ISO, WB.

The D40 can even push the button for you, you set a pre-determined focus distance and as soon as something is in focus it takes the shot. :)

Auto will also pop up the flash, if your camera has one. I use P an awful lot, but I never use Auto, I still want to control ISO etc.

50% manual mode, 40% aperture priority mode, 10% shutter priority mode, 0% P-mode or auto.

I feel that I did not pay thousands of dollars for a camera with incredible capabilities and leave the decisions (which are easy to out think and out perform), in the hands of some Japanese engineer that has no concept or care about my needs. :)

That is my choice, though... and if P-mode turns your crank, go for it.

Mmm, bashing the engineers isn't really fair. They have an understanding of professional photographers' needs, enthusiasts' needs, and amateurs' needs. That's why they handed the former M, Av, and Tv, and the latter P and full Auto (along with a host of other modes that won't be useful at all to the former, but possibly to the latter). That's also why they gave you AF, AE, AF points, AI Servo, AF Servo, IS, iTTL, E-TTL, and a whole host of wonderful tools to use that make your life easier. </rant>

[URL="[URL]http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/mikebcos.html[/URL] said:
MikeBcos[/URL]"]The D40 can even push the button for you, you set a pre-determined focus distance and as soon as something is in focus it takes the shot. :)

At which point does the camera make me coffee in the morning so I'm less inclined to sleep-in past sunrise?

The D40 can even push the button for you, you set a pre-determined focus distance and as soon as something is in focus it takes the shot. :)

That's actually pretty cool. I can see a few uses for that already...

I almost always shoot in program unless I have a specific reason not to. Granted, I often have a specific reason not to, but for shooting on the fly I see no reason to go into full manual unless you're a luddite or practicing shooting without the aide of your camera.

Well I shoot manual all the time, and don't consider myself a luddite. I just haven't decided to trust program mode yet. I think I can do better. :lol:

It really depends on what kind of camera you're working with. On many manual focus cameras, the auto mode does not mean that the camera is automatically "choosing" an aperture, but controlling/setting it.

I think shooting manual all the time is kind of silly to be honest unless you're always in a difficult lighting situation or always in a studio. It's much faster to let your camera work for you and then modify when necessary than it is to set every setting every time. Once you learn what you're doing, the speed is much more of an asset than an impediment.

Most reactions

Back