Starting a Business

aammoore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am hoping to start a business VERY soon! But first things first...I have to buy all of my equipment. I am probably going to get a very small business loan, just enough to buy the equipment...so..you may be asking..why do you need our help!?

I need to know what it takes as far as equipment needs to be a great wedding/senior/outdoor photos photographer! I don't have a store front and probably will not for some time because I specialize in outdoor and wedding photography.

I am very interested in the Canon 5D, but what I really want to know is what are all the necessites and BEST quality Cameras, lenses, lights, flashes, etc... etc..! Much needed help and MUCH appreciated!

You say you, "specialize", well, if you already specialize in this field why would you need the info your asking for, you should know already what equipment is required, have you a full diary of bookings, do you have a business plan, have/are you marketing this venture. Don't go in here blind, its a hungry business and if you haven't got bookings don't think they're going to walk through the door because you've bought a 5d. H

What equipment do you currently have? If you are starting fresh and thinking about entering the wedding business, I will advise to to take a step back and do more research before you invest 10k+ in ESSENTIAL equipment. Especially if your not sure on the "Best" equipment to buy. Please note I am not being mean, it just has to be said.

That being said, The Canon 5D is a fantastic camera. Also what is your budget? Your looking at a 2-3k Camera. Have you though about the other things you will need, Weddings you will need multiple bodies, If you go Canon, you will need a couple fast lenses (L series which will set you back a between 1k-2k per lens) and possibly backups of those as well. Flashes, memory cards, ect. at the bare minimum. Thats equipment.

In terms of what it takes... Its not all equipment, granted nice equipment helps but its 90% the photographer. You give a great photographer a Canon Rebel, and Uncle Bob and 1dsMIII, I guarantee the pro will have better photos 1000x over.

yes, i have two weddings booked (which is the reasoning for getting my own equipment at the time I am using a friends) I have been taking photos of people (friends, family, children weddings) etc..for a few years. I worked in a commercialized photography studio for about a year and then had a baby so decided to be a stay at home mom. I have everything written out for what I want, this was pretty much a question to see if people would give me some more ideas for starting it up. I don't claim to be an expert in the field, therefore always look for great advice and guidance, but only from those that are willing to lead. Please don't bother trying, now.

I didn't ask for your degrading remarks, so if you don't have anything helpful to say, please don't say anything...that's what our mom's have taught us..right?

Here is a recent article that answers many of the common questions about the equipment needed for shooting weddings.
http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment

On a side note, I agree with the others that is seems a bit odd that you "have to buy all of my equipment" at this point. Can you fill us in on what equipment you do have and what experience you are bringing to the table?

*edit*
after seeing your last post, I've got a better idea. Thanks.

Maybe it would help if you showed us your list of equipment, then we can help you to access it.

I have to say that the same questions raised by the guys above are the ones that went through my head. Had you have explained as much as you did in the follow up post, then maybe you wouldn't have raised the same concerns. As it was, your original question read like so many student assignments that get posted from time to time. As for the notion that anyone's made degrading remarks, sorry but you've lost me there.

That is what I'm looking for! I have sat and sat on this thought of starting my business. I have people asking me to do their weddings and I don't even have the equipment that I want yet. At the time I am using a friends Canon 30D with a kit lens (that I hate) and a fairly decent zoom lens. It gets me by and gets some great pictures done but it's not the quality that I want!

I want a Canon 5D.
with a good quality wide angle zoom lens possibly the 24-70mm f 2.8/L
or the 24-105mm f/4L IS
I like the thought of the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 (with more expense) I love doin portraits!

I've got the cards handled. Stock up on those because I do use someone elses equipment at the time. I also have a few backdrops that I use just the basic black and white.

Flashes and Lighting is what I don't have a lot of experience with, because I've always used what I had infront of me. Which worked fine, I just want to know what's the best quality.

I'm looking at a small loan between 5k-10k

I'm sorry if I took the remarks as degrading and they weren't meant for it, you know how these internet convos can be confused, it didn't help to see that there was nothing that helped me or guided me anywhere near an answer to my question! Maybe because I asked for the info Harry doesn't think I "specialize" but..he doesn't know me, so I can't harp at him for what he doesn't know. :)

Thats a good start off list. i wouldnt worry about backdrops as everything moves quickly at weddings. Perhaps thats just me and my style of shooting. I use whats I have available and make the best.

I have the 24-70L on my main camera 100% of the time, I carry two bodies on me, Canon 30Ds, one with the 24-70L and the other with the 70-200L f2.8 IS. I also keep an XTi in case a body fails. I would skip the 24-105 as its not as fast and you may find yourself in trouble in low light churches or receptions. The 50mm is a no brainer on a crop body. great for portraits and inexpensive. make sure you have multiple flashes as they are the most likely to fail on you. Remember to have multiple bodies, Even if its a Rebel, having a failed camera on the big day is unacceptable for wedding photography. Just remember its a one time shot, no reshoots. So being prepared for ANY failure is key. :wink:

Thanks Mike! I haven't even finished the article and it's already, EXACTLY what I was looking for! :)

Mucho love to you! :)

The 'kit' of choice for wedding photographers (Canon) is the 5D (unless you want a 1 series body)...and the 24-70 F2.8 L and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.
The newest 'crop body' the 40D is actually pretty darn good and it's much less than the 5D. For crop bodies, the top choice would be the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.
Of course, you may want to add a fast prime like the 50mm F1.4. If you really like to shoot primes, the 35mm F1.4 L is an outstanding lens, as is the 24mm F1.4L.
As for flash, the 580EX is the flash of choice for on-camera use. If you want to use your flash off-camera, then you can stick with Canon units and retain E-TTL (via IR) or for a more reliable system, go with radio transmitters (Pocket Wizards) and just about any brand of flash that you want.

Of course, backup equipment is very important for wedding work.

Thanks Sub, I appreciate your help! Another exact target on what I needed to hear! :) Reassures me tha I'm on the right track with quality. I agree with sticking with the 24-70L!

The backdrops I have never used at weddings, but more so for portraits.

The 50mm 1.8 was no question, I've heard great reviews and the price makes it a nobrainer! :)

I will def. look into getting and XTi for an extra body! Great advice!

What flashes do you use? I currently use a Canon Speelite 580 that belongs to a friend.

I personally hate flash so I only use it if mandatory, however I have a 580 EX and two 430's

I've gotten all the info that I need to move forward with the plans that I had. :) The article and brief conversations with Mike & Sub have been more than enough! Have a blessed week everyone!

I often recommend the 50mm F1.8 to people because it's cheap and a great lens for that price. However, it is a 'Cheap' lens and I wouldn't count on it too much, for wedding work. I've also heard that it doesn't focus nearly as well as all these other top quality lenses.

Sure, the 50mm F1.4 is several times more expensive than the F1.8 version...but it's really only a few hundred dollars more...and as this is your business...I'd say that's a worthy investment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back