Starting a Business

No offence taken but it did seem like a pretty uninformed question, but if you already have enquiries then go for it, here's my original reply to yours but got logged out before posting as I'm a tog not a typist.

Aammoore, I wasn't trying to degrade you, I was trying to point out that it takes more than a decent camera to make a wedding photography business work, also taking a business loan to finance equipment with only 2 bookings doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Start small, buy 1 DSLR, 1 dedicated flash, use your friends camera as a backup, see how much you earn from the two bookings and reinvest it on equipment, advertise locally,webspace,shop windows, anywhere it'll cost you next to zero, don't work cheap and don't give clients anything but top dollar work, keep plugging away, get well known locally and keep advertising/marketing. You need to know your equipment inside out, what works and what doesn't, its hard work, long hours and zero money for the first couple of years unless you're extremely lucky and then there's the tax man to consider, keep all receipts, keep books from day 1. Hope that helps, H

I often recommend the 50mm F1.8 to people because it's cheap and a great lens for that price. However, it is a 'Cheap' lens and I wouldn't count on it too much, for wedding work. I've also heard that it doesn't focus nearly as well as all these other top quality lenses.

Sure, the 50mm F1.4 is several times more expensive than the F1.8 version...but it's really only a few hundred dollars more...and as this is your business...I'd say that's a worthy investment.

Totally agree with Mike, the difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 is night and day. I dont use the 1.8 for wedding work, The AF is slow and noisy, its just a fun toy to play with. And for 70 bucks, you cant go wrong.

Thanks! I'll consider the 50mm 1.4 then! :)

Harry, thanks for the repost.

I think if you are wanting to get a setup for weddings and portraits you better push that loan to the upper end of the numbers you mentioned. I recently purchased a setup (a lesser setup) actually yo can see it in my sig. that was purchased $3500 and I got big discounts from my employers so if you were not exaggerating for effect to get the BEST of everything for weddings and portraits $10,000 should just scratch the surface. Now I shoud also state (and you can start the flames right here) the people that said "there are other systems than Nikon or Canon to consider are dead wrong. If you want the BEST for shoting weddings ou should stick to Canon or Nikon.

There are plenty of ways to save, but still get good quality gear.

For example, while the 5D is certainly the camera of choice...the 40D is also very good...and much less expensive. A used camera could also be considered, especially for a back up.

Top quality lenses are very robust, and can be found in great condition, on the used market. Sometimes you get a good deal but these things hold their value very well...so sometimes it's worth the extra to buy new. But at least that means they are a safe investment.

Sure, many established wedding shooters will have more than $10 K worth of gear...but I'll be that most of them didn't start with that much.

Taking a step back, what about some of the other costs...like a fast computer for editing? Software like Lightroom and Photoshop?

Oh yeah I forgot the computer Mike. A decent setup camera-wise and a good CPU with Photoshop should very easily push you well over the $10,000 mark. I think you really need to take an assessment of what you need if you truly intend on taking out a loan for $5,000-$10,000 you truly will not have enough money if that is all your loan is going to be especially if you intend on buying studio lights as well and especially if you want all the "BEST" gear.

I didn't ask for your degrading remarks, so if you don't have anything helpful to say, please don't say anything...that's what our mom's have taught us..right?

Honestly.. this is an open forum and people can people be brutally honest... you have to take both. I didn't see anything posted prior that I would consider degrading... in fact Flash Harry ask some valid questions. If you can't take those hard honest questions and answer them, then starting and running a business is going to be extremely difficult. (we get a lot "I want to start a business" posts around here)

If I were just starting with a good but not large sum of start up cash, I'd probably start with the following:

* 5D and either a Rebel XTI or 20D for backup
* 24-70L + 70-200 IS L
* stroboframe
* good flashpack with external battery pack
* Several good quality media cards.. Bunch of 1 or 2 gig cards instead of large 4-8 gig cards.
* Computer of choice with photoshop (something...even elements will work) with a good monitor
* Calibration unit (Spyder 2)
* some sort of backup strategy.
* INSURANCE <<<< READ<<

In fact.. I'd rent most if not all of it just to get started. That just includes things to shoot the wedding itself... we haven't even touched on studio shots that are all so common prior to the weddings. How about assembling of albums and delivering of framed prints? There's a whole boat load of stuff there to consider. From my past observations, you'll need an assistant once you get beyond a party of 80 or so. You'll also want some sort of plan as to what photos are a must! Bride+Family, Groom+Family, Groom's men, Bride's maids, Great parents (if there), Best man + groom, Maid of honor + bride, Best man + maid of honor etc... The photographer's that have been doing this a long time make it look like a well orchestrated dance.

The newest 'crop body' the 40D is actually pretty darn good and it's much less than the 5D. For crop bodies, the top choice would be the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

ACTUALLY, did you know the 30D and 20D are sharper per pixel than the 40D?

its because they reduced the 40Ds sensor by a few millimeters on each side, but crammed on 1.9 million more pixels. If i were you, i would get the 30D and save a little money.

So much info. :)
I already own a GREAT computer, and Adobe Creative Suite 2 which includes Photoshop and I have been using it for quite some time.
My husband is a graphic artist, so no problems in that area! :)

I'm not looking to start a huge store front business, so a lot of what was mentioned I don't need, I'll take into account all that you all advised and put what I need to use, the stuff that I don't need now, I'll put it on the shelves of my brain until they are needed to take down :)

I really appreciate all of you who are interested in helping! :)

I don't plan on starting off this business investing the 10K ...that was my maximum IF NECESSARY to get what I need to start. Yes I would LOVE to get all of the TOP of the LINE products and quality, but maybe starting off I will look at the used buys and sigma/tamron etc.. type stuff...Who knows. All I do know is that I've scoped out the price ranges of what i need to get me started, for my area and my clients and I won't need the 10K! :) That's a Praise God for me!!

As far as renting goes, I checked into that a lot today and none of the stores in my small town rent their equipment out.

I am very interested in the Canon 5D, but what I really want to know is what are all the necessites and BEST quality Cameras, lenses, lights, flashes, etc... etc..! Much needed help and MUCH appreciated!
That is quite a diffrent statement from your original request.

Does that really matter now? I haven't changed my mind in what I want. I've gotten some good advice about used stuff, less expensive brands/ very high quality new stuff, I'm really not sure at this point what I will go with. I really just wanted the information about the absolute best things that photographers are using these days. And then thankfully, some people help me out and threw in, what a starting photographer might do/buy.

Just because I get on here and ask for a little guidance doesn't mean I'm going to go out tomorrow and take it all. Yes I would LOVE to go out and by ALL NEW top of the line equipment, but some people say maybe that's not best?! I'm considering all my options.

God shall supply all my needs. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about!

Great advice goes a long way in a persons life. Thanks for those of you that have been the ones to give it!

P.s~ jip that is my original post statement?

Well honestly I think we get this alot here. People come on (and I'm not saying this is exactly what you did) and say "I am just starting out and I want to get into business" when the truth of what they really want to do is very diffrent. I think if you would have started this thread differently you would have gotten a very different response. I have no problem giving my 2 cents to aspiring wedding photographers but it helps to be clear about your intentions.

Well, when you all aren't in my head, I have to assume next time that you don't know what i want in the long run. :) I actually talked with my business partner tonight. Looks like I'm about ready to get rolling :)

Most reactions

Back