Starting a photography biz....

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by bellacat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I accidentally posted under the wrong forum so my apologies if some have seen this as a duplicate post.

I recently seriously started thinking about starting a photography biz. Honestly its something i have thought about for years but it wasn't until a few months ago that i have felt confident enough to jump into it.

I have only mentioned this idea to a few friends and family. I know a few people who have started portfolio building sessions but for some reason i feel i should have a portfolio put together before i start asking others to give me money of any kind so i have been recruiting neighbors and friends to allow me to take their photos for free in exchange for them to allow me to use the photos in my gallery.

I can't afford to spend $400-800 on a fancy professional photo gallery but i do intend to purchase a professional gallery template this week once i purchase a domain for the biz.

what kind of advise can you give a newbie like myself?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What type of photography are you planning on doing?

Building up a portfolio is always a good idea, if you can get friends, family & neighbors to model for you, that's great. You could also ask models to model for you on a TFP/TFCD basis. (Time for Prints / Time for CD).

Word of mouth is king in this business, so good customer service and a great attitude will pay dividends down the road.

3. jenie_penny

jenie_penny TPF Noob!

I would say the number one thing is having a strong online presence. I would recommend going with a template flash company like portfoliositez.com (not launched yet), bigfolio.com, or winklet.com. The other key thing is to showcase your best work online. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is putting everything they've done up and not just the best shots.

4. dvduval

dvduval TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you going to be selling more to people in your area, or online?

5. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I soooooooooo agree!!! If you do portrait photography, for instance, don't include sunsets/landscapes, close ups of flowers, etc. Show what you are trying to sell, and only show the perfect shots.

6. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the links. I have only heard of winklet.com and bludomain.com so i will check out the others. No one has really seen my blog that i have up now so when i get a site put up that blog will disappear. After being on this forum I have learned that most of my shots on my blog need to be left out of the official website and I have lined up friends and neighbors to let me take thier photos so i have a variety of people for my galleries.