Starting a Studio

newshot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking into starting a portrait studio - basically it would involve shooting one person against a background (think high school photography shoot), and I'll need to upgrade my camera to a dslr.
I go into stores to ask advice on what camera will specifically meet those needs. Unfortunately, they all try and sell me on their most expensive models for a bunch of features that I feel I probably won't need for just the portrait studio work.
I know that whatever camera I get, it'll need a pc cord to connect to my speedotron brownline lighting system. But I'm on a budget and am looking for a basic model that can handle this stuff, without the extra features that drive up the price. Any advice would be appreciated.

The more megapixels the better, I suggest prime lenses becuase they're unintimidating and sharp, in the studio you don't quite need a zoom lens. and if you don't buy a camera with a PC jack in it, you need a wein safesync which are about $60 to connect your camera to your speedos without blowing it up.

Ditto on the prime lens. It's a great money saver and as said zooms aren't needed, and often only compromise quality in such an easily controlled environment.

But even cameras with PC sync ports will still need a safesync adapater. Internally the PC sync is often just connected directly to the hot pin on the hotshoe. The issue is manny Speedotron Brownline flashes have very high sync voltages, higher than the 6V or so that is safe to pump through a modern camera.

You didn't mention which models you own. Speedotron make Brownline strobes which have a "LV" designation in their model number and are perfectly safe to use without a protector for the camera.

Thanks for the advice. But still, is there a basic camera model that would do the trick on a budget?
As for powerpack, I have two 420 LVs. Thanks!

well depends on the budget :D

how much "ish" do you want to spend?

hgave you tried bodies what system do you prefer in your hands? (nikon, canon, sony etc)

I'm open to any model - Canon most likely would be best. For what I need the camera to do (portrait studio work), I've talked to people that said I need a 40d. I talked to one camera shop that said I could get by with a Rebel XT with an infrared wireless trigger. That's a range of $500 to $1500. I don't mind spending the $1500 if that's what I need. But if I can get it for $500, why not? That's my general question.

OK so doyou have any equipment at all?

id go for a 20 or 30d and a fast prime, lens and camera wise

do you have a tripod?
any lighting equipment?

5D's are only about $1800, and they kick serious butt in the studio.

OK so doyou have any equipment at all?

id go for a 20 or 30d and a fast prime, lens and camera wise

do you have a tripod?
any lighting equipment?

I have a two Speedotron 420s, with 2 M90s, and a M3WR. I'm going to be getting an m11 with a softbox soon.

I have a camera tripod. As far as backdrops, I haven't decided which ones to get yet, but that's not my focus right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back