Starting Business--Which State?

ironsidephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ironsidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to that point where I need to actually form a legitimate (legal) business. I currently live in Arkansas, but I plan on moving to Virginia at the end of the summer. Would it be best to do this in Arkansas before I move or do it once I get to Virginia? Any tips?

P.S. I'm looking into forming a Sole Proprietorship...if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
If you already have a client base I'd advise against the move as you'll be starting fresh, I did similar and it takes quite a while to get established in a new area where you are unknown. If you have no ties and the move has to take place then you need to do a lot of networking and advertising in the chosen area, which can be hard on both the finances and the person, basically a lot of work for little money. H

Well, I kind of have to move, so that's not really part of the equation. I'm getting married soon, and my fiancee is starting graduate school there. I don't have too much of a client base here, as I'm just getting started. Maybe some name recognition, but that's about it.

You can work in your current location certainly, but since you are going to be moving to a new area I would not put too much focus nor investment in building your profile where you currently live - simply put it would be a waste because you are leaving.

I would however put the money and time into building up as much marketing as you can in your new to be working area - if you can market well and even setup arranged shoots before you move that will be a great thing (but make sure that you don't let things slip on the move; if you promise shoots you have to honour them). Also make sure that any studio setup that you are going to be using (if you are using one) is fully setup before you begin your shooting. Nothing looks worse than having your early customers being shot in a construction zone where you are still not sure where anything is.

So what part of Va are you moving to?

That is very important as far as your possibilities. I was in the DC area for many, many years and it is a wonderful area to be for photography. Even if you don't get jobs from the government, it does attract pro organizations of every kind and they all put out magazines and newsletters. Or maybe I should say they used to. Who knows in the age of digital? But they still would have plenty of business.

Also, although not very well known, DC has a very vibrant theater scene and is a major movie city. Not the hollywood type movies, more like educational, promotional, etc.

Lots of work in this city for photogs. There's more but I'll wait and see which area of VA you are moving to before maybe adding to this.

As far as a direct answer to your question, why spend energy and money developing a business in a place you are leaving? I don't quite see the point. Take on jobs that come your way, even go look for them, but don't spend too much money doing so. The only exception I can think of to this is if a company is represented in both places.

And btw, as soon as you push the shutter for money, you are a business. :D

Starting an LLC in VA is not hard, i actually just did it :lol:

all you need is 100 bucks and the form LLC-1011

Hey Ironside, I'm in AR too. What part are you in? You can PM me if you want.

Most reactions

Back