Starting line of a new hobby

K.Li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have just started to get into photography and my very first DSLR the D90 has arrived yesterday as a xmas present for myself.

The D90 is not equiped with a Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens, and I keep it in a crumpler 5 million dollar home so I could take it every where I go while still looking like a casual bag.

Well here are two photos I have taken and I would like some advice on what I have done badly and how I can improve. As you can see it might be obvious that I am into more DOF and marco even though I don't have a marco lens, but the 35mm is awesome with DOF as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1)
4208471888_a285d8a4d1_b.jpg

2)
4211143418_e534d5cdbb_b.jpg

Good job. I like both photos, especially the colors in #1.

i think you meant Macro, not marco lol

1- I dont always mind when things are cut off, but the right most flower is cut off at the edge of the frame and it urks me.
I do like how the flowers make an arc line on the bottom right of the frame, whether that was intentional or not, nice job.

The DOF (depth of field) is nice in the photo, however I'm not liking the black/barren middle. It seems to compete for interest with the flowers in focus.

2- I dont like the choice of composition here, mainly how the closest most circle is not fully sharp (due to shallow DOF). The shot is ok though.
I'm not liking the lighting either, I find it is too bright in some cases.
Interesting subject though

5 million dollar home
...What?

It's a camera bag...

But to the OP I like both shots. Something about those circles in #2 interests me.

awesome camera bag I love it, very practical and still have the look of a stylish bag.

1- I don't always mind when things are cut off, but the right most flower is cut off at the edge of the frame and it urks me.
I do like how the flowers make an arc line on the bottom right of the frame, whether that was intentional or not, nice job.

The DOF (depth of field) is nice in the photo, however I'm not liking the black/barren middle. It seems to compete for interest with the flowers in focus.

2- I don't like the choice of composition here, mainly how the closest most circle is not fully sharp (due to shallow DOF). The shot is ok though.
I'm not liking the lighting either, I find it is too bright in some cases.
Interesting subject though

Thanks for the detail advices, there are many things I won't notice without the help of others. The edge of the flower and the dark spot was a very good point I had no idea until you told me!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back