Starting LLC, where to go from here?

dataz722

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What started out as just helping a friend get together a press kit for his band and a portfolio and reel for my other friend and I; seems like it will be turning into much much more. The band is very happy with the work we did for them and now says that they will be able to get us a ton more work with other bands if we want it. They also asked me what I would charge hourly to do posed shots of the band. We are now thinking about starting a small buisness under an LLC. The only problem is that I have no idea where to begin as far as contracts, terms, pricing and whatnot. Are there any books or websites out there to guide me in the right direction? Or does anyone have any personal advice that they might be able to give?

We would primarily be dealing with bands at first so we would be dealing with media/press kits, album covers, posters, website useage etc.

Thansk in advance.

What started out as just helping a friend get together a press kit for his band and a portfolio and reel for my other friend and I; seems like it will be turning into much much more. The band is very happy with the work we did for them and now says that they will be able to get us a ton more work with other bands if we want it. They also asked me what I would charge hourly to do posed shots of the band. We are now thinking about starting a small buisness under an LLC. The only problem is that I have no idea where to begin as far as contracts, terms, pricing and whatnot. Are there any books or websites out there to guide me in the right direction? Or does anyone have any personal advice that they might be able to give?

We would primarily be dealing with bands at first so we would be dealing with media/press kits, album covers, posters, website useage etc.

Thansk in advance.
Online is not a good place to seek legal advice.

Pricing is usually based on your CODB (Cost Of Doing Business), plus the profit margin needed to grow the business and provide enough income.

Commercial photographers usually charge a hourly creative fee and sell a use license for each image. The cost of the use license is determined by how, what quanity, and for how long the image will be used. Licensing Guide | American Society of Media Photographers

Business licensing and registering laws vary by city, county and state. The requirements for establishing an LLC are controlled at the state level and also vary by state.

You'll need the services of a local attorney to license/register your business, LLC, write your contracts, model/property releases, and other paperwork, so there are no nasty and expensive surprises down the road.

You can register your image copyrights yourself. www.copyright.gov

You'll also need to retain a good accountant, a CPA would be better, to handle the routine reporting required of an LLC, and to make sure state sales tax collecting, paying, reporting requirements are being met.

You'll also need good business insurance.

Managing and sustaining a photography business is much more about having good business skills, than it is about having photographic skills.

HTH

Last edited:
Any idea what a lawyer charges to set up a LLC business? This is something ive been meaning to do, I was hoping to do it on my own though to keep costs down. I tried to register my business and get a tax number a while back, but town hall was no help. Probably because I dont live in town, im out in the country, and my business is on location.

Any idea what a lawyer charges to set up a LLC business? This is something ive been meaning to do, I was hoping to do it on my own though to keep costs down. I tried to register my business and get a tax number a while back, but town hall was no help. Probably because I dont live in town, im out in the country, and my business is on location.
Ask a couple of local attorneys what they charge.

You get your business tax number (EIN, or Employeer Identification Number/Federal Tax ID) from the IRS. You can do it online too. If you're a sole-proprietorship your social security number suffices as your federal tax ID number.

Employer ID Numbers (EINs)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back