Starting my research..Need help

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Spoogen_1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Spoogen_1

Spoogen_1 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey there. Im starting my research on getting a DSLR. I am a good photographer but I dont have a DSLR yet. I do wanna stick with Nikon mostly, but Sony is a choice too. I dont plan on making money off my shots, I do it just for fun but I do want professional quality. My friend Frank, which I agree with, is telling me that the Nikon D40 would probbaly suit me better then the more expensive D60 and D80, since I dont plan on making money or nothing on the shots. Does this sound like a pretty acurate sugestion??

Also i do plan on getting a wide angle lens. Not the macro one. On one site someone said the best one for the D40 is like a 16-22 wide angle, something like that, apose to a 17-21. I dont remember the numbers exactly, im hoping someone can help me explaning which is better. Not worried about price on the lens specifily. Any help/suggestions would be great, thanks.

2. fightin14

fightin14 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I was in your position I would consider buying a used d50 or d70. there will be more glass available for you, and I don't like the operation of the d40 or the d60 and that maybe because I am use to a d200 now and a d50 previously. I like to use the top mount screen second to through the eye piece. With proper knowledge and good glass either of those cameras will make great photos.

3. user name

user name TPF Noob!

i have an alpha 100, i like it a lot
    i don't confess to being a great photographer, but i try
    the alpha can take better pictur than i've been ale to get out of it
    i also have a sigma 10-20mm lens for it, the best lens of the 3 i have i think
    don't rule out an alpha
    if you have avaliable a CF card and an SD card, go to a shop, fire off a couple of picture in the shop, one place i went to look at camera's let me take the camera outside, as long as i left my credit card with them
    take pictures, then look at them at home on your PC, you might get a better feel for your new camera from trying before you hand over $$$

4. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I started with a D40 and I still think it's a great little camera, and an inexpensive way to get into photography.

5. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can buy a used d200 for about $500 on ebay these days, that would be my choice.

6. Spoogen_1

Spoogen_1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the info. I heard about this camera shop today, sell new and used cameras, ima check it out, see what kinda deals I can get.