starting my small business

I wondered about zoning, if you have people coming and going neighbors might start to wonder... That might be something to check into before you start scheduling sessions if you haven't yet.

And you mentioned newborn photography, which brings up what could be another whole thread, but there's plenty online about baby photography that seems to be using poses and equipment that may not be appropriate. Please look up info. from child development sources, not just from people with cameras.
Yes, I mentioned zoning earlier.

By checking with the City about Zoning ordinances you open yourself up to the city and any other potential business permits and ordinances -so you have to be careful on how you ask.

Of course, there's roughly half of all small business that are out of the house (no demographic breakdowns on that though but I assume alot do consulting stuff that doesn't add foot traffic).

Normally a city won't notice some additional foot traffic. A lot, maybe.
Neighbors might notice more though.

This is very helpful, generally speaking ==> Home-Based Business Zoning Laws The U.S. Small Business Administration SBA.gov

here's an article that is fairly helpful in that regards to check for zoning ordinances ==> Is Your Home Zoned for Business

basic stuff ==> Understanding Zoning Licensing and Permits - For Dummies

more good basic reading ==> Is Your Home-Based Business Illegal Inc.com

I wondered about zoning, if you have people coming and going neighbors might start to wonder... That might be something to check into before you start scheduling sessions if you haven't yet.

And you mentioned newborn photography, which brings up what could be another whole thread, but there's plenty online about baby photography that seems to be using poses and equipment that may not be appropriate. Please look up info. from child development sources, not just from people with cameras.

Wait...so I can't shoot the kid all wrapped up and snuggly in a 6' burmese python? But I've already booked the python!

Wait...so I can't shoot the kid all wrapped up and snuggly in a 6' burmese python? But I've already booked the python!
That's what insurance is for! (The python did sign a release, right?)

Yes you can.
But if your neighbor(s) or police see it, the python may get another form of being in a shoot(out).

In which case make sure your house, business, health, liability AND Life insurance is paid up.

I am suprised that this thread has gone on this long since the OP has alread indicated that the things being discussed are not of any importance to her at this juncture. I would remind you of the words of Mark Twain..

"...the person that had took a bull by the tail once had learnt sixty or seventy times as much as a person that hadn't, and said a person that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful. "

I believe the time has come to allow the OP her opportunity to carry a cat or two home by the tail. I am reaonably confident that in the near future we will be asked how to get out of some perdiciment or another.

Until then, keep in mind, we are a creature that enjoys the failings commited by others. If you do not believe that then explain to me how America's Funniest Videos stayed on the air so long. The $10,000.00 winner was always the guy that took the shot to the crotch, or the kid that did a face plant, or the woman that got stuck in some object that was to small for her fat butt. With out such fails youtube would have gone away long ago, and The People of Walmart would no longer take up bandwidth.

Very valuable insight from experienced photographers.

FWIW .. always check your Renters or Homeowners Insurance too when you get the notices... just in case you notice something awry.
Also check "Medical Payment to Others" .. in case something happens in your studio to someone.

StudioInsurance.JPG

Attachments

• StudioInsurance.JPG
    StudioInsurance.JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 149
Coverage.....We Don't Need No Stinking Coverage.

Most reactions

Back