Starting Out With Flim On DSLR D800

BrianJoseph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone im starting out shooting video with my dslr d800 and i was wondering what are some very good lens to get for high quality video. some shots will be at night and others will be day light shots. thank you all for all your input and help.

I think he's getting "film" as in movies mixed up with video here.

sorry everyone yeah im getting into video like music videos short films etc i have a suprise 30th birthday party to shoot in aug ill be using my D800. Sorry everyone

This forum is about film with a light sensitive emulsion on it as the recording medium, not as in moving pictures or video.

Scroll down the list of forum titles a bit further to:
DSLR Video Discussion

But don't start another identical thread, because there is a good chance a moderator will soon move this to the DSLR Video Discussion forum.

I recommend addressing the issue with your shift key.

High quality video is mostly about the camera operator, light direction and quality, and how much attention to detail the camera operator applies to each video sequence shot.
Use a lens focal length appropriate for each video segment.
A good video type tripod with a fluid video head is highly recommended.
A separate video monitor and a good manual follow focus accessory will also help video quality.

Last edited:
A fast cine lens. 35mm is usually good so you can have some of the background to give a sense of place. But that is probably still a bit tight for an indoor b/day party.

I would not worry about the lens, between now and August would focus on making up a storyboard on what to shoot in order to make a something out of the footage. If I just wrote it out then I would find that I want to see the people surprising the birthday person, and also the reaction at that moment of the birthday person - and realise that this is best done with two camera operators.

Have lighting, at least an LED panel on camera.

A fast cine lens. 35mm is usually good so you can have some of the background to give a sense of place. But that is probably still a bit tight for an indoor b/day party.

I would not worry about the lens, between now and August would focus on making up a storyboard on what to shoot in order to make a something out of the footage. If I just wrote it out then I would find that I want to see the people surprising the birthday person, and also the reaction at that moment of the birthday person - and realise that this is best done with two camera operators.

Dave they just changed it to having the party outside i will come up with a story line today that is a great idea i do have the 24-70 tamron vc version so i will use that to shoot this short film. i will get to get a camera stabilizers for some nice gliding shots.

Dave they just changed it to having the party outside i will come up with a story line today that is a great idea i do have the 24-70 tamron vc version so i will use that to shoot this short film. i will get to get a camera stabilizers for some nice gliding shots.

If you are outside you may want to have a ND filter handy for that lens. In addition to eliminating the shakiness, sound is very important. If there is a person setting up the party then they should probably wear a wireless lavalier mic (or just a recorder with a lav to mix in post), another mic for ambient sound (this can also be a recorder with an external omnidirectional mic, such as the Tascam DR40) and probably a shotgun for the b/day person.

Dave,
i was thinking getting a Zoon H4nSP Handy Recorder for the audio but i was going to play music throughout the footage and have a little bit of audio coming through when they are singing happy birthday etc. i will def invest into ND Filter

The Zoom recorder is good.

If you have legal rights to the music, you can always add that in post.

Most reactions

Back