Starting out! WOOHOOO

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by amber_martin05, May 24, 2009.

1. amber_martin05

amber_martin05 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hey everyone, i havent really posted anything because well, i didnt have my camera yet!! haha, i know seems a bit premature to join a forum BEFORE actually getting the materials. BUT I was having a super hard time deciding on a Nikon D60 or a Canon rebel xs, i've been scouring website reviews! and i've decided to get the Canon. I managed to find it for only 30 dollars over the nikon price and it's slightly better based on the reviews i've read. what do you all think? step in the right direction? i believe so! i'm super excited to get started and i'm apologizing ahead of time becuase i'll more than likely be asking for opinions and advice.. ALOT! haha thanks for any imput you guys have!

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats on the new camera. Post some pics.

3. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love Canons, and I shoot with one myself. But it is a little late to ask advice on camera shopping after you've purchased the camera.

4. amber_martin05

amber_martin05 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah i think i wasnt clear, i still haven't ACTUALLY bought the camera... but i'm rearing and ready to! i was just gonna see if anyone had a suggestion or thoughts on either one of the cameras

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The D60 has better overall RAW image quality, wider dynamic range, better high ISO performance and generally costs less then the XS. Image Quality comparison data is here.

You should note that the D60 doesn't not have an auto focus motor in the camera body but the XS (1000D) does, (Nikon puts the auto focus motor in the lenses). However, Nikons kit lenses are generally rated as performing a bit better Canon's kit lenses.

In all honesty though, Canon offers more prime lenses than Nikon and Nikon's lenses tend to cost a bit more than Canon's.

That matters because which ever body you get will likely determine which brand you use for many years once you have invested in a selection of lenses

6. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Used Nikon D80 for 500 bucks from BHPhoto. To me a much better deal than either the D60 or the Rebel XS. I actually have used all three, and the D60 and the XS are damn near the same camera in feel and performance. I like how the XS has a dedicated ISO button, but do not like how there isn't a dedicated manual focus point selector. Menu options and display modes were pretty much similar to offerings on the Nikon.

Still, neither can touch the D80.

7. scubacoz

scubacoz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am also looking for a new camera. What would yall get. My friend has a Canon Rebel XS, I know there is a XSi out now also. i have also been looking at the nikons. Any suggestions? Kathy in Texas

8. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    I have my eye on a D3 for my sports shooting and a D3X for my studio.

Bestbuy.com has Nikon's D200 on special right now (online orders only) for only $600. When this camera was first released it cost nearly $2000. This is probably the best camera deal in America today.

The D200 is a semi-professional camera and has better image quality that the consumer level Canon XS or newer XSi.

The D200 has a metal body and weather sealing, the Canon's have plastic bodies (break easy if dropped) and no weather sealing.

The D200 has Nikons built-in off camera flash triggering system CLS. With the Canon camera's you have to buy remote triggers to do the same thing.

The D200 can shoot 5 frames per second, the XSi can only shoot 3.5 frames a second.

My suggestion is to take a good look at the D200. Bestbuy keeps moving the price of the D200 between $600 and $680.

9. amber_martin05

amber_martin05 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that was SUPER good information! thank you guys for the replys. now heres another... I am planning on doing this for year and years to come. I was curious, if i decide to upgrade my camera after so long, will the lenses i've already bought fit my new camera? like Nikon lenses fit all nikon cameras and canon same? or are they all camera specific?

10. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get the D200 at BB for $599 right now.

11. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon had a special on the XS a few months back when I got mine. It was $499.00 US with the 18-55 IS kit lens and the 75-300 (non IS) telephoto. Adorama, B&H and Amazon all had them at that price. I have been watching lately and have not seen them for anywhere close to that. So it pays to watch the web and shop around. I am pleased with my XS so far but am a newbie and it is more for a hobby then anything else.

12. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, unless Nikon or Canon come out with cameras with a different mount.

Well one other qualifier for Canon cameras. "Canon designers have taken steps to ensure it is physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses on EF-only cameras. This is because the increased proximity of the lens to the sensor means that on full-frame sensor or 35mm film EF cameras the lens itself would obstruct the mirror's movement and cause damage to the lens and/or camera." (Wikipedia).

Nikon uses the F-mount (since 1959).

Canon has the EF-mount (since 1987). "EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens." (Wikipedia)

Then "In 2003, Canon introduced the EF-S lens mount, a derivative of the EF mount that is strictly for digital EOS cameras with a 1.6x crop released after 2003. All other EOS cameras that only have an EF mount will not mount EF-S lenses." (Wikipedia). Before the EF-mount they used the FD-mount so if you are looking at old Canon lens (made before 1987) be careful.