Starting Out

CanadianMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Just starting to get into Digital Photography and the last time I did any photography was about 20 years ago and I used to develop my own photos and roll all my film but it was all B&W. I have started taking photos again but I am currently just using my Kodak Z710 which has been ok for family photos and some fun stuff but I am looking to upgrade. I have been looking and debating what I wanted to start off with but have not been able to make up my mind until recently.

I know in April Canon is coming out with the XSI the next generation of the proconsumer line. I am glad I waited I was about to buy the XTI. Anyway getting off topic. I think it is the Camera I want, what on the market do people use that is in the same range? What other cameras might I consider?

My next question is I think I would like 3 lenses outside what comes with the camera. I thought two Zoom lenses and a wide angle lens. What Ranges would anyone recommend. I would like to do some nature photography, some people and a lot of city and country shots. Any ideas would be appreciated. I figure I have a budget of about $400 a lens and if I need to pair it down to two I will and spend a bit more on each.

I know I need a good tripod so that I can figure out on my own, lol. Next flash, what should I look for to start with, without bankrupting me. Do I need any diffusers?(if thats a proper term). And what lens filters should I consider to start with? I have a budget in mind, since this is for hobby only but would like to some decent equipment to start with. I like to do night shots is a remote a good idea? And what else should I consider. I have some photos on the link in my profile if you want to get a basic idea of what I like to do. Sorry about the long first post and if you need any clarifications please feel free to ask.

I like Nikon so I would say the Nikon D80 or maybe the new D60 I heard was comming out. The D80 is probably the best choice unless you want to go with the more expensive D200/300:) I am afraid lens will cost a bit more than that. The Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR is around $600 and the fast pro glass is a good bit more than that. Take a look at the Sigma line if you want a slightly cheaper price for great glass. My 70-200 f/2.8 was just over $900 and the Nikon equivilent is $1600, now the Nikon is going to be a better lens but for the price the Sigma is great. I use the SB-600 which you can get for around $200-$250 which is a great choice!

Welcome to the forum.

Canon's line of 'entry level DSLR' cameras is great. The newest one should be no exception. I suggest that you go into a store and hold it though, it is rather small. If you find that it's too small, you might consider upgrading to something like the 40D (or older 30D) or adding a battery grip to the smaller XSi.

As for lenses, there are plenty of options. Keep in mind that this camera has a 'crop factor' of 1.6 when compared to 35mm film cameras. Meaning that your FOV will be 1.6 times narrower for a given focal length, on this camera. For a wide angle, there are only a few options; the Canon EF-S 10-22mm is probably the best but it's expensive. There is a Sigma 10-20mm that is less expensive.

There isn't much in the way of a wide angle prime, unless you want a fish-eye.

There are plenty of longer lenses avaliable...but $400 isn't really going to give you much in terms of quality. Maybe just stick with the stock lens for a while, until you have a better idea of what you really want/need.

For a flash, I would recommend the Canon 430EX. It's fully compatible with your camera's E-TTL flash metering. It's not cheap but it's much less than the higher model, the 580EX II. I wouldn't worry about diffusers...bouncing your flash will work much better and is free.

In digital photography, most filters are practically obsolete because the same effects can be applied, with infinitely better control, on a computer. One exception is a polarizing filter, which I highly recommend.

I should have mentioned that the entry level DLSR cameras from Nikon, Sony (formerly Minolta), & Pentax are also good choices.

Well have maybe $1200 for a single lens, I averaged $400 per lens up to 3, so if I end up buying one I have about $1200 and that is not firm can go up a few hundred if I need to. I have only started looking at peripherals such as lens, flashes and so forth. I been spending my time looking at cameras. I like the feel of the XTI and the XSI is similar feel from what I have been told. The XSI is also a 12mb and has other enhancements from the XTI. Here is the link for the new specs for the XSI http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=139&modelid=16303#ModelTechSpecsAct I will look at the cameras mentioned. I have given myself until April to make my choices and not going to rush into the purchase so I appreciate the advice and thing else I may be overlooking.

I also tried out Aperture and I ended purchasing it, just love it. I am very adept at photoshop but I really don't like to do much to what I take and find Aperture just what I like, I also tried Adobe Lightroom which I liked but not as much.

PS. Great forum, still here since my first post going through threads, I can see I will here for a while just going over the older posts.

I have LR now and hope to get CS3 soon:) Stay away from the Nikon D40 and D40x if you want to get into photography, they are meant for beginners and people who do not intend to get into photography. I should now as I made the mistake of getting one and now I have to upgrade:( As far as lens goes I LOVE my 70-200 f/2.8 and for $900 you are getting a great lens. The Sigma is made for the Nikon or Canon so that is a +. If you have to money to get the $1700 Nikon /Canon 70-200 f/2.8 than go ahead. I am looking at getting the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-f/4 to go with the 70-200 and then maybe some prime lens but first I need a new body like the D80 or D300. I know you are leaning toward Canon so I am sorry I am talking about Nikon but I hope it is helpfull:)

I am willing to look at all the makes, I have hit a few stores but will be going to some Photography specialty stores in Toronto when I have an idea what I need to be looking for. I am partial to Canon, last SLR I had was a Canon and I just loved it. I will look at Nikon, Sony etc. at least one more time. Would hate to rule any of them out based on an old bias. I have been reading lots of reviews, comparisons but this is the first place I found where I can get actual user feedback and input.

Since I been here I have found a lot of info on old posts pertaining to lens. I did photography in school about 25 years ago and not used it for 20 and after doing some reading here a wee bit of it is coming back lol. So any info is helpful to make a choice. So when I go I can look, think, reflect and then make a choice and if needed get a bit more input from here. Rather make an informed decision than a rushed one. And I may see and feel the XSI and hate it, I hear it is similar so I may end up not caring for it, until I can feel and touch it I have made no decision.

You will love CS3 a great program. I just love it.

Take a look at the 30D. That with a 50mm 1.8 may cost as much as an XSi with kit. It'll feel SOOOOO much better. I loved my XT, but since owning the 20D, I wouldn't be able to feel right with an XT in my hands anymore. I'd still get good shots out of it, just wouldn't feel comfortable the whole time, and all it takes is that slight distraction to keep you from your 100% potential.

Don't count out Pentax either, they have a lot of great prime lenses, and you can use 30 year old lenses on their new Digitals, and they will all have image stabilization at no extra cost.

Don't count out Pentax either, they have a lot of great prime lenses, and you can use 30 year old lenses on their new Digitals, and they will all have image stabilization at no extra cost.

K20Ds should be quite a camera as is the K10D, and they definitely offer a ton of camera for the money (some would say more for your dollar than certain high-profile companies). The lens thing is just icing on the cake for me (especially because I'm too lazy to actually research and buy any old ones. One day). Like others have said, make sure you hold each of them and get acquainted with how they function. For me, the Rebel XT was simply too small to fit comfortably in my hands, but everyone is different.

Stay away from the Nikon D40 and D40x if you want to get into photography, they are meant for beginners and people who do not intend to get into photography. I should now as I made the mistake of getting one and now I have to upgrade:(

What specifically did you find inadequate about the Nikon D40?

inability to autofocus non AI-S lenses in a big negative (on the d40)... You can rule out primes (besides the newer ones nikon is releasing in the 600+ range). A big thread was made about this a few weeks ago

Well after reading and reading and doing comparisons I am reconsidering the XSI. Just on specs the Canon D40 is almost a pound heavier and I like the idea of a heavier camera and it is much better built. I am looking at all of them now, I have looked at my budget and added more money so I have better options. If there wasn't a snow storm out today I would have gone camera hunting. Anyone know of a website that I can do spec comparisons on side by side? Once I narrow down what is in the price range and specs I would like I can then go to the stores and then do a physical comparison. Prefer to have some idea of the models I would be interested in rather than walk in unknowing. Never can have to much information. I am also going through all the lens's and deciding what I need and what I want to spend. This site has been great resource, after going trough many of the old threads I have a better idea on what to look for and what I might need. Just need to keep reading old threads.

Click the banner for B&H in the upper right corner of this site. From there you can pull up the DSLR's and apply the filter for the price range you're in. Then you can check which ones you want to compare.

Click the banner for B&H in the upper right corner of this site. From there you can pull up the DSLR's and apply the filter for the price range you're in. Then you can check which ones you want to compare.

Thanks

Well after going to the Camera Shop today I am certain the Camera I would like, I am going to go for the Canon D40. Has the options I want and just love the feel. I will also be getting th battery grip. Now on the lens front I am partial to the 24-70 f2.8 L lens mentioned earlier. I have looked at a few other mid priced lens's also. One question though, since I had not thought about it while at the store just how heavy is that lens? Do some find it real heavy or heavy ? Since I first looked into going DSLR I had a budget in mind, well after looking I have doubled what I think I want to spend, just hope my wife wants to get me out of the house bad enough to let me spend the extra lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back