Starting Out!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gem.89, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gem.89

gem.89 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,
    I am looking at contemplating a new career in photography.
    I have always been interested in photos and editing tools.

I want to do a course to gain extra knowledge of my hobby and how to make my pictures look a bit more professional, rather then casual snaps!
    Firstly i would like a recommendation from you as to which digital slr is the best camera for the job!Im not looking at spending fortunes to start with but want a decent type.

Thanks In Advance for any advice given,
    Gem x

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The best digital SLR is the one that you have. All of the current offerings will do an excellent job; it's a matter of you deciding what features you want, and how much you want to spend. Once you've done that, wander down to your local camera store and look at the various bodies, discuss the features with the salesperson, and explain your wants/requirements and budget. If you have questions about a specific model, those can be answered here, but "What camera?" is one that only you can answer. Good luck.

3. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, if you really hope to have a career in photography it would help to do the research on your own. Determining what kind of a camera and lenses you will want/need goes hand in hand with what style of photography you want to develop. Start with what you think you want to do and then get the equipment to match.

4. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First...
    are you writing small to keep your broadband costs down..???

Just to add to what Tirediron and Macsdean have said... however, the 'professionality' of your photographs is not simply a case of what camera you eventually buy...
    You don't say how much experience you have of MAKING photographs...
    Do you currenly own a camera..? - What type..?
    My direct question to you is: what physical hands-on experience do you have that leads you to "contemplate" photography as a career..??
    Believe me... a "career" in photography ( I presume you mean a full-time, luxury yacht, house in Spain, models knocking at your door and throwing themselves at you, emulate Monty Zucker, type career) is about as realisable as being chosen to be the first man on Mars...
    The camera you eventually choose to buy (and if you don't intend spending a fortune, then you are likely to be buying an entry level DSLR) will have begger-all to do with any "professionally-perfect" pictures you take... Just browse through all the pictures on this forum and you will see BRAZILLIONS of pictures taken by people with expensive, high-end cameras that are less than professional...
    If you really ARE intent on photography as a career, then you have many, MANY, months and years of study, work, and frustration to endure...
    I'm not being mean to you - BUT, we see far too many people who think that buying a "decent" camera will somehow transform them into a fully fledged professional photographer... Nothing is further from the truth...
    But good luck - and be sure to post some of your images to us...
    Jedo
    ADDIT: - Oh... and the quality of the LENSES/LENS you buy is more important than the brand and stature of the camera...
    Jedo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008