Starting out.

Ryanfru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok I plan on getting into film photography and I figured I will be starting with the Olympus OM2 since I have one handed down to me. Can you guys lend me any info on some lenses to look for besides the 50mm 1.4( I have it :wink: ), some techniques, and where I might find a good website that sells the lenses and film rolls.

Hey Ryan,

I do a good bit of business with B&H photo. Just picked up a 28mm and a 70-150 pretty cheap. They pretty much have anything you could ever want.

I dusted off my old Canon AE-1 a while back. For an old camera, she takes a great picture!

I pretty proud to be in possession of the OM2. Any color and B&W film I should be looking at.

Fujifilm velvia if you want really saturated colors (though it is slide film), Ilford hp5 I really like for b+w. I also am a big fan of any fujifilm really :). Ilford would probably be my favorite film overall though.

Definitely hit up B&H. Awesome place.

As for film...I personally like Fuji Superia for color and Tmax for b&w.

100 iso of course. :) I'm probably going to be trying out Pan-F sometime in the not too distant future.

I have an olympus OM1 and I love it. The zukio 100mm f2.8 is a really nice lens and I have a zukio 55mm f1.2 that I like for low light.
I use arista edu 400 for my school and It works pretty well. If your light meter is anything like mine you wont be able to find the old batteries, you can use a new battery but the voltage is too high and you will have to decrease the ISO to 2/3s of what it really is, I shoot 400 at 250 and get consistently exposed negatives.

I shot a roll of Pan-F 50 last week and I set the iso to 32. I got decent negatives so my formula seems to work well enough.

Its nice to see another olympus film owner on here. I've got the Zukio 50 f1.8, its a good lens but the 1.4 looks pretty neat. Email me if you have questions, I'm just learning myself but I might have so tips about the quirks of these old cameras.

I have an olympus OM1 and I love it. The zukio 100mm f2.8 is a really nice lens and I have a zukio 55mm f1.2 that I like for low light.
I use arista edu 400 for my school and It works pretty well. If your light meter is anything like mine you wont be able to find the old batteries, you can use a new battery but the voltage is too high and you will have to decrease the ISO to 2/3s of what it really is, I shoot 400 at 250 and get consistently exposed negatives.

I shot a roll of Pan-F 50 last week and I set the iso to 32. I got decent negatives so my formula seems to work well enough.

Its nice to see another olympus film owner on here. I've got the Zukio 50 f1.8, its a good lens but the 1.4 looks pretty neat. Email me if you have questions, I'm just learning myself but I might have so tips about the quirks of these old cameras.
Yeah I shoot canon digital but Olympus film now. The 50mm 1.4 is definently my favorite lens i own out of all.

Most reactions

Back