~ Starting Over...Need Advice ~

OhioGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Years ago I owned a Nikon D40 with two Auto/VR lenses. The 18-55 and 70-200... I think. Not sure why I sold everything but I did. I got burned out on photography for some reason and sold everything. Yeah, it happens...

Today is a new day -

So, now I want to get back into the passion I loved but keep it as a hobby for the most part. I may take photos of relatives or family, or if people ask but I'm not going into "business" so keep that in mind.

I shoot just about anything so I would need a little flexibility in lenses and most of all, ease of use. Right now I am open to any brand although I do like the "feel" of the Nikon and I'm already somewhat use to that brand.

I had my eye on the D3300 and almost pulled the trigger from eBay on a kit which had two lenses, 18-55 and 70-300. Perfect! But wait....one small issue I almost overlooked! The 70-300 was manual focus only and no VR. No thanks. I want both auto focus AND VR built into the lens, OR....into the body of the camera. My old D40 70-200 lens did both. Why doesn't these new models support auto focus and VR in a zoom lens? That's puzzling, so before I go any further I thought I'd get some advice. I may have to reevaluate my whole thought process.

I'm looking for a camera I can use multiple lenses (18-55) + (70-300) and higher, while keeping it simple....Auto focus and some type of vibration reduction built in because most of my shooting is hand-held. I will use a tripod when I have time and want to play with sunsets, for example. But for every day shooting I don't want the extra hassle of a manual focus and blurry images from hand shake. I understand you cannot go to high of a zoom in a telephoto lens without a tripod but on the semi-pro market there has to be something out there.

Budget: $600 give or take a hundred or so. I am open to brands, used vs new, anything. I am leery to buy used unless it's someone I can work with and send back if I am not happy with it. That's obviously hard to find these days. :)

Thanks for any input you may have.

You want the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6, the AF-S VR-G version of their long-running 70-300mm zoom line. The "old and cheap" 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G-series model is often bundled today by on-line scammers and bait and switchers because it's CHEAP at wholesale, and it can confuse people thinking it's the NEW G-series model with the VR function, but the f/4.5~5.6 aperture specs. I've seena hkber of on-line sketch dealers bundling the OLD 70-300 G with bodies with which it will not provide AF!!! Caveat emptor!

SImply put, the 70-300 G f/4~5.6 is one of the very first of the G-series lenses; it uses screw-drive focusing, ad has a very small manual focusing ring at the very far front end of the barrel. it is f/4.0 wide-open at 70mm, declining to f/5.6 at the long end. On the lower-end Nikon models, it offers no autofocus.

The 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6 AF-S VR-G Nikkor is much newer, over a decade newer, and has an f/4.5 max aperture, but is better optically, by far, and has AF-S focusing and VR tech, and it's a good lens--a great one to buy on the used market, since the used market price on tbis lens is reasonable, but the new retail price is over-valued IMHO. I have shot entire portrait sessions with the 70-300 VR-G lens...its a pretty good lens, given its size and weight and price. I would class it as semi-pro in build quality and optics.

I'd say, today, the Nikon D5200 is the best "value" body.

As just said the newer one is better. Also I do think the d5200 is best bang for buck Nikon at moment as it's a year or two old but similar specs to newer more expensive cameras.

For 600 you'd likely get one with the 18-105mm lens and have change. A twin kit system sometimes is available with an 18-55 and 55-200 mm lens. I'd prefer to get 18-105 as it is a good lens with good range.

If at the moment you can't afford 70-300 Nikon, look at Tamron 70-300mm vc, good, cheaper option. Also the Nikon 55-300mm vr goes cheap, feels cheap but the few people I know who own it get good pictures with it

Have to agree, a good used/refurbished d5200 is an amazing value. I've shot both the Nikkor 70 300 vr and the tamron 70 300 vc and both are good lenses. I'd have to say the Nikkor is probably the better of the two overall but if budget is a concern the tamron is a close second and a lot cheaper used.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. This is the kind of thing I need to discuss. Perfect! Yes, I do like the D5200 and I found some on eBay with the 18-105 lens, another thing I greatly appreciate and one I never thought of. I may just buy that and save up some money for a quality 300mm later down the road. I had the 200mm like I said in years past but the range wasn't really all that good. 300mm would be a little better. Any larger that that I'd need to take out a loan! lol Unless, I found one on the used market some day.

What is a good telephoto lens (other than the 300VR) that might be good to keep an eye out for? Used is fine.

The used 55-200 VR kit lens I bought a while back is alright. I'd like more reach, but this will do for now.

You want the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6, the AF-S VR-G version of their long-running 70-300mm zoom line. The "old and cheap" 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G-series model is often bundled today by on-line scammers and bait and switchers because it's CHEAP at wholesale, and it can confuse people thinking it's the NEW G-series model with the VR function, but the f/4.5~5.6 aperture specs. I've seena hkber of on-line sketch dealers bundling the OLD 70-300 G with bodies with which it will not provide AF!!! Caveat emptor!

SImply put, the 70-300 G f/4~5.6 is one of the very first of the G-series lenses; it uses screw-drive focusing, ad has a very small manual focusing ring at the very far front end of the barrel. it is f/4.0 wide-open at 70mm, declining to f/5.6 at the long end. On the lower-end Nikon models, it offers no autofocus.

The 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6 AF-S VR-G Nikkor is much newer, over a decade newer, and has an f/4.5 max aperture, but is better optically, by far, and has AF-S focusing and VR tech, and it's a good lens--a great one to buy on the used market, since the used market price on tbis lens is reasonable, but the new retail price is over-valued IMHO. I have shot entire portrait sessions with the 70-300 VR-G lens...its a pretty good lens, given its size and weight and price. I would class it as semi-pro in build quality and optics.

I'd say, today, the Nikon D5200 is the best "value" body.

Usually I add my wisdom but Derrell pretty much said it all.
Nikon 70-300mm VR lens is a great "budget" zoom lens offering a lot of optical range and good image quality for relatively low money, I used to own it and it was a good, loved and faithful companion.
I also agree you should consider the D5200 or even D5300 (if you have the cash) over the D3300, for me the main advantage the D5200 or D5300 has over the D3300 (which is an excellent camera on its own accord) is the auto focus system which is one level above it (the D3300 AF is good too just not as good as the one on the D5200/D5300).
I would also recommend considering the Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is a very good affordable prime lens, will be very helpful for you in portraits or in low light situations.
Optically the Nikon 50mm 1.8G is superior to the 18-55mm and 70-300mm and is also a good general use lens.
I own it and love it, just a lot of lens for the buck.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the information. This is the kind of thing I need to discuss. Perfect! Yes, I do like the D5200 and I found some on eBay with the 18-105 lens, another thing I greatly appreciate and one I never thought of. I may just buy that and save up some money for a quality 300mm later down the road. I had the 200mm like I said in years past but the range wasn't really all that good. 300mm would be a little better. Any larger that that I'd need to take out a loan! lol Unless, I found one on the used market some day.

What is a good telephoto lens (other than the 300VR) that might be good to keep an eye out for? Used is fine.
Greetings, OhioGuy! The various statements you have written give me the impression that you are trying to find one or two lenses that will "do everything", or at least cover the focal range from 18mm to 300mm. There's nothing exactly wrong with that idea, but I'm afraid you'll end up paying premium prices for stuff that are not necessarily premium lenses.

I do agree with the Nikon D5200 (or even a later model of the same platform) but some sources that I've read indicate that your lens choices are not optimum.

First; E-Bay? Really? I shudder when I read that people have "found something on E-bay". If I go read your deal, am I going to find a gray market camera with a cheap lens and a bunch of extra fluff?

Secondly; most new camera kits come with the 18-55mm zoom, and mine actually came with that one and the 55-200mm zoom, both with VR.

Read what one reviewer wrote about the 18-105: Nikon 18-105mm VR Read just the introduction, which is not very lengthy.

I do recommend shopping at your local camera store, or Adorama or B&H. I purchased my kit from Best Buy online, which had the best price for what I wanted.

Last edited:

70-300 mm is probably your best bet, either Tamron with the VC or Nikkor with the VR. I've shot both, I currently have the Tamron and it really does produce great, sharp images. One other good place to look is KEH camera, they sell used and refurbished equipment, I've bought a lot of used stuff from them over the past couple of years and never had any problems or issues. They are a great bunch of folks to work with.

Great stuff! I'm learning a lot and appreciate everyone's thoughts. So far it's definitely the D5200 body and most likely I'll stick with the kit lens of 18-55mm and build from there. I understand buying from eBay can be tricky so I will shop around for the best prices and won't fall for "bundles" offering inferior gadgets. :)

Great stuff! I'm learning a lot and appreciate everyone's thoughts. So far it's definitely the D5200 body and most likely I'll stick with the kit lens of 18-55mm and build from there. I understand buying from eBay can be tricky so I will shop around for the best prices and won't fall for "bundles" offering inferior gadgets. :)

Buying on Ebay is ok, just avoid the bundle deals from the shady sellers and look for auctions of used equipment by the owner instead. Look for somebody with 100+ feedback, preferably with no complaints, and read the descriptions carefully so you know what your getting.

If something isn't specified, always ask so you have it in writing before you bid. I've bought from Ebay often enough, never had a problem by sticking to those simple rules.

You mentioned family shots. If you're shooting kids or pets, get a camera with an articulating screen. This will allow you to get the camera real low down where the subjects are making for more intimate photos.

Thanks folks. The advice and logic you provided helped me work out some things in my head where I'll be happy and confident moving forward. Now if anyone wants to send me a few exotic money tree seeds that'll be great. Thanks.

:)

Most reactions

Back