Starting to get a little confused....

Eyetattoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Fisrt off I am a research nut, but I think it may be starting to confuse me more than help. At first I was looking at the Nikon D40 vs the Canon 450D, then it was the D60 vs the Canon 450D. But now I see that the new Nikon D3000 is coming out within a month with more bells and whistles. So my question is now.....What are your thoughts on the Canon 450D vs what you know about the D3000? I really dont want to spend more than what the 450D costs.

The Nikons felt a little better in my hands but I really am more after image quality as I can get used to holding the Canon given enough time.

I need help! lol

You should get whatever feels better. Image quality has more to do with your glass anyway.

Look at high ISO performance on the Nikons. My D60 is craptastic after ISO 400.

Speaking of high ISO performance...

The 450D is usable at 800 as long as you nail exposure. 1600 is just a "don't go there" kinda thing. There's crazy banding in the shadows that's impossible to remove without borking the image. :-/

I have a D90 but I'm in a similar situation, I was going to get a D40 or D60 but now with the release of the D3000 I'm going to wait until it hits the mass market so i can get a better buy on the D40/D60 series.

I personally didn't see anything in the D3000 that would sway me that direction unless the prices of the other two don't drop.

I like that the d3000 has more AF points and that the internals seem to be updated. I'll be waiting til I see actual reviews and test shots.

There will always be something new just around the corner. With these cameras, I think it should be more about comfortable and controls than about the body itself. As someone said, the lenses are more important.

If you can wait, wait. If you can't, get the 450D.

I like that the d3000 has more AF points and that the internals seem to be updated. I'll be waiting til I see actual reviews and test shots.
The D3000 is looking pretty good from the early reviews...but it's a brand new body so early adopters will probably have to deal some issues and problems and then wait for new firmware for fixes.

I think you can't go wrong with either the D3000 or the XS or XSi.

We seeing as I wont be able to make the purchase until the first week of next month I will be waiting to see how the D3000 feels in my hands.

Well I could be wrong but it seems to me that nikon is going to take a small hit with the D5000.... Not sure if it will survive the long run so it does not really give me hope for the D3000.... But what do I know!

Well I could be wrong but it seems to me that nikon is going to take a small hit with the D5000.... Not sure if it will survive the long run so it does not really give me hope for the D3000.... But what do I know!

Can you expand on this comment?

Can you expand on this comment?

Please, i would like to know as well

Look at high ISO performance on the Nikons. My D60 is craptastic after ISO 400.
That's because it's using a CCD sensor. All Canons use CMOS (the current standard) sensors and thus have better ISO performance than similar models in the Nikon camp. That is, until you get into the D5000 and above. The D3000 still uses a CCD sensor.

CCD's take beautiful pictures, no doubt. But their high ISO performance is abysmal.

I would avoid anything in the Nikon line-up below the D5000 due to the fact they use CCD sensors and ISO performance will suffer.

Buy a Canon 450D
Or buy a canon 20D
20D is pretty good (semi pro line)
whereas 450D is aimed at beginners (what i have)

I am gunna buy a 20D in the near future, then i will get a 40D in maybe 2 years time and hopefully make it up to a Canon 5D mkii in about 3 - 5 years.

Most reactions

Back