Starting to take portraits.. few questions

RiderOnTheStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've decided to start taking portraits in order to expand my portfolio. Right now it's full of everything but humans :lol:

I assembled a backdrop stand, got my background "dark grey fabric", and some lamps. I just wanted to know how do you guys usually set your shutter speed for portraits. I will not be charging anything but I would like to make the best out of the session. Also if you can give me any advice regarding how to run the session it will be greatly appreciated. :wink:

I just wanted to know how do you guys usually set your shutter speed for portraits.
That depends on the type of lighting (continuous or strobe) and the amount of light and the aperture/depth of field I want to have.

If you are using continuous lights, then you will probably want to use as fast a shutter speed as possible. The faster the better because people don't sit perfectly still. I certainly wouldn't go below 1/60 but I'd prefer to be up around 1/200 or 1/250.

I use strobes for shooting portraits, so as long as I don't go over my camera's max sync speed (1/250)...the shutter speed doesn't really matter.

Most reactions

Back