Starting to take portraits.. few questions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by RiderOnTheStorm, Aug 3, 2007.

1. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm TPF Noob!

I've decided to start taking portraits in order to expand my portfolio. Right now it's full of everything but humans :lol:

I assembled a backdrop stand, got my background "dark grey fabric", and some lamps. I just wanted to know how do you guys usually set your shutter speed for portraits. I will not be charging anything but I would like to make the best out of the session. Also if you can give me any advice regarding how to run the session it will be greatly appreciated. :wink:

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That depends on the type of lighting (continuous or strobe) and the amount of light and the aperture/depth of field I want to have.

If you are using continuous lights, then you will probably want to use as fast a shutter speed as possible. The faster the better because people don't sit perfectly still. I certainly wouldn't go below 1/60 but I'd prefer to be up around 1/200 or 1/250.

I use strobes for shooting portraits, so as long as I don't go over my camera's max sync speed (1/250)...the shutter speed doesn't really matter.

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
  4. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm TPF Noob!

5. Jeff Colburn

Jeff Colburn TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out two articles on my site, The Creative Cauldron, at http://www.CreativeCauldron.com

Go to my articles page and read, "Overcoming Physical Flaws When Photographing People" parts 1 and 2. It should help you with some things you will encounter.

Have Fun,
    Jeff