Starting up: How much should I charge?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by philaphotog, Jul 21, 2008.

1. philaphotog

philaphotog TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all -

I'm finally starting to charge for my newborn photography. I've been shooting my women friends and their babies/families for free for two years now, and am getting referred to new potential clients - not friends - so I think it's time to make this an official business.

I spend 1 to 3 hours shooting the mom and baby (and family, if desired). I usually go to the family's home (so far this has been within a few miles of my home - I live in center city Philadelphia - so travel is not a cost factor yet). I shoot tons of digital images, and typically 2 rolls of film as well. It takes me a week or so (many hours of intense work) to get all the photos organized and edited, and I typically have 100 - 150 photos when I'm done.

I set up a Shutterfly gallery for now (check it out at http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/1215042339383/AmandaHallPhotography - I would LOVE input and suggestions) and am trying to figure out how much to charge per print. And how what base fee to charge for the shoot itself (which would also have to compensate me for the HOURS I spend working with the photos afterwards). What do you charge? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Amanda

2. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Call the local pro studios in your area and use their pricing as a guide. But make sure its worth your time, and if your spending to much time for the amount of money thats being charged in your area, try to figure out ways to slimline your workflow. Prices vary from area to area. Usually really expensive in major cities like nyc to alot cheaper in the country.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is part of the equation, but the less important part. First, figure out how much you need to make to break even. Factor in equipment cost, transportation (insurance, fuel, maintenance), upgrades to equipment and software, etc. Once you've got that figure, add to it a reasonable salary for yourself. Then, compare it to what others in your area are charging and adjust accordingly.

For prints, discs, etc. I charge materials +30% for private sale assuming I retain rights. For commercial work, release of rights, it's negotiable (not that that aspect comes up a lot for me).

4. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That is the worst thing you can do. You should never go by what the other guy is charging. Their prices reflect what works for their business model. You need to charge according to YOUR business model.

5. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did say to make it worth their while, as in their costs are covered.

tirediron did give the best advice. :0) I just meant dont undercut the competition just to be the cheapest in town.

6. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    I can't see your gallery, it asks me for a password. I'm really not willing to comment on what anybody should charge until I see some photos.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not True, it is a good place to start. Pros build alot more into there prices that other people forget about. Under pricing your product will only hurt you and make it so your new venture will fail.

You need to know how much it cost you every time you press the shutter button.

8. philaphotog

philaphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry - the password is Amanda.

9. philaphotog

philaphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And THANK YOU for advice and feedback... I have 2 potential clients to meet with over the weekend and I need to have a price quote ready. Nerve wracking, but all in all a good "problem" to have!

10. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The password doesn't work. A good resource for you would be www.ilovephotography.com It specializes in professional children's portraiture. Though, on the free side, you cannot ask business advice, you could submit your portfolio to see if you are good enough to get onto the business side where you would learn a ton. GL!

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Figure out how you want to charge first.

Do you want a sitting/photography fee then sell prints?

Do you want to do packages?

Do you want to do a total package that includes photography/photo?

Do you want to tell them they can't find out how much until after your done and charge them an arm and a leg then?

12. philaphotog

philaphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a possibility:

Newborn package - $400 sitting fee:
    Includes 2 photo shoots - one at birth, one at 4 - 6 mos
    Each shoot: 1 location, 1 - 3 hours total
    50 images per shoot
    1 free 8 x 10 per shoot
    Online hosting of images for 6 months
    Then, the pictures would be moderately priced. Maybe $5 for 4 x 6, $10 for 5 x 7, $25 for 8 x 10?

For parents whose babies are a little older, a single photo shoot (with conditions above) for $300. (So the package deal would save parents $100 on sitting fees)

For friends, I've been putting all the images on a disk for them to print wherever they wish. I don't think this is a good idea for professional work because then I make no money at all on prints, and I can't control the quality (what if they print a copy on a crappy home computer? I don't want my name on that)

The "online hosting" would be my shutterfly website, which I could also use as a promotional too by inviting potential customers to visit and see my work.

To those who were not able to use the "Amanda" password - try again? It's worked for all my "customers" so far...